Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install in subdomain or folder?  (Read 4233 times)

knotty

• Coppermine newbie
Install in subdomain or folder?
« on: January 10, 2006, 06:45:31 pm »

Getting ready to install the latest.  Wondering if I should install in a subdomain or just a folder under root? Which would be better indexed by search engines?

Thanks...knotty
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 09:55:39 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Install in subdomain or folder?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 06:50:16 pm »

This is something that you should decide based on what makes sense for you, your site's organization, and maybe your visitors.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:11:41 pm »

Install into the webroot if you plan to have no other content on your website except your coppermine gallery, or if your coppermine gallery is suppossed the first thing your site visitors should see when they access your page. Usually, installing into a subdomain actually means installing into a subfolder within your webroot and configuring your webserver to redirect requests to the subdomain to the subfolder. If your only concern is search-engine friendliness, then install into a sub-domain, as there is a slight preference for weight of sub-domains compared to sub-folders. However, having coppermine set up on a subdomain has drawbacks: cookie exchange between the main domain and the subdomain can be trickier to setup - if you plan to bridge coppermine with another app (like a bbs) later, bridging will get a bit more complicated when using a subdomain.
However, the coppermine folder on your server can easily be renamed even after installation, so it's not a big decision imo. I'd recommend installing into a sub-folder right now and change this later if you must.

knotty

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:22:12 pm »

Thanks for the replies...into a sub folder it is. Yes, I have a Wordpress blog and want the  photo gallery separate instead of  integrated into WP.

Thanks.. I got it. knotty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.