Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble with viewing folders in “Batch Add Files”...  (Read 28212 times)

fade2grey

• Coppermine novice
Re: Trouble with viewing folders in “Batch Add Files”...
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 12:48:13 am »

I worry about all these anti-wintel comments on these linux-centric boards. CPG is a handy solution for a lot of us, but it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of us use wintel boxes to host things on the web - being nagative about windows doesn't really help anyone on this forum, it's appreciated that CPG was originally designed to work on linux, php & apache etc - if there's a port or config for windows users then lets please support it rather than just bashing them. Plus on another note, I'm sure there are a lot of wintel guys running their own boxes relatively securely & reliably - nobody is infallible so I try not to get involved with slinging mud.

This is just my 2c so feel free to ignore it completely.

Cheers,
A
fade2greyuk [at] hotmail [dotcom]

ecto

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
    • My very incomplete gallery
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 06:49:12 am »

I agree with you to a certain extent, fade2grey. I believe that you are absolutely right that if CPG supports Windows, it should also be supportive of it. But (there's always a but) as far as I've reckoned, the people who most often run Windows boxes are also the ones who most of the time have the least clue about what they're actually doing. And no, I'm absolutely not "ranting down" on anyone, I just say what I believe (I run a Win box on my test site btw, though I'd never run it on a live box).

I believe that's why people here on the forums maybe are a little less prone to supporting Windows than other operating systems (Linux, BSD etc). In 98% of the cases, if someone actually knows what they're doing on a Windows box, they won't ask for support here (regarding OS related questions). And even if they do, chances are that they are asking questions that have already been answered before. Most of the time you can actually tell from the post (or a couple of posts) if whom you're talking to knows what they're doing or not. Not that it should matter in that sense, as every Coppermine user should have good support anyways. And they do get it - afaik there's not many support boards around that are as helpful as this one is. But many times it's pretty clear that some people really shouldn't run their own boxes, and when that's shining through, it sometimes may sound a bit harsh what supporters here are saying when all we really want is the best for all users.

The more users who run their Coppermine installs on solid, secure *nix systems and the less who run their live installs on half-patched, insecure Windows boxes, the safer the web will be for all of us - I believe that's why many here are rooting for users not to run their own Win systems.

mini1400

• Coppermine novice
    • Minis & Megaliths
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 10:05:43 am »

"the reason is that on some setups (all of them on Windows boxes), some server-sided vars don't get populated properly."

To the devs: I looked for this in all the docs, and found that the only place it's mentioned is in the "Known issues" section in the docs. I believe that more of these kind of threads could be avoided if you wrote something about this in the upload section of both the documentation and the README.

Any idea *which* server-sided vars are not getting populated?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 02:23:47 pm »

If we did that for everything, the docs would have to be 10 times the size they currently have - with the result, that even less users would be willing to read the docs. You have to understand that we simply can not cover every aspect in the docs. Particular issues just like yours should be covered in the forums, as they're so special and only apply for a tiny minority of coppermine users.

Running your own Linux webserver instead of a Windows box would improve things a little bit, however there are vulnerabilities in Linux-driven systems as well (although less than on Windows-based servers), so the initial issue stays: you shouldn't run your own webserver publicly, but do as suggested and go for webhosted services instead. Running your own Linux-driven server is entertaining and fine to experiment with and learn things, yet it's still not recommended to run it publicly.

whmeeske

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • WHMEESKE.NL
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 11:07:39 pm »

I stay by my Windows webserver. Some people suggest that I'm not aware of what I'm doing. But I don't agree with them. I keep my webserver up-to-date. And it's behind a router/firewall with only the nescessary ports open.
I don't take part in further discussion on this subject, I did'nt started it anyway.
I only use this forum for CPG issues. For issues about windows and webservers I use other specialized forums.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 05:05:46 pm by whmeeske »

pacolux

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 05:52:04 pm »

This must be a problem with PHP used through an ISAPI on Windows.  I have downloaded a few shopping carts and they have worked for the most part but if they incorporate any type of "Browse Interface" like the one used on the Batch Load...it just does not work.

JB2

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 03:04:32 am »

OH MY GOSH!!!!  I cannot believe GauGau's additude.  You call this support?  I call it abuse.  First off, there is absolutely no reason to be so harsh when providing SUPPORT responses, even if a user appears to be a bit ignorant (note that ignorant != stupid!!).  Second, how do you consider a Windows box (90% of the installed base of computers IN THE WORLD), running Apache 2 (the MOST popular OpenSource web server), and MySQL 4.x and "exotic configuration"?  Finally, In the few days that I have run Coppermine I've had installation problems and the same batch upload problems with ALL of the "blessed" versions of Apache, MySQL, PHP, and ImageMagick.  Frankly, your software is poorly written and not worth the time.  My purpose in downloading it was to evaluate a nice-looking tool.  What I discovered was a dog turd under the hood (where it counts!).  I'll stick with my own Servlet/JSP-based tool that has 90% of the visual appeal of Coppermine, by 100% of the actual functionality.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 03:25:04 am by JB2 »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 07:07:19 am »

thanks for your warm words and farewell to you. Locking this thread now, as I'm not willing to discuss your flame. However, if you didn't manage to install coppermine flawlessly, my guess is that it's a matter of improper webserver setup or that you did something wrong - there are thousands of users who were able to install coppermine in no time on Windows boxes. However, I'm not sorry that some don't manage to install the app on their own, self-hosting box, as we don't encourage self-hosting for the reasons explained in this thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.