Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading IPTC info entered in Photoshop - error with æ,ø,å - see last post!  (Read 5854 times)

mboesen

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • Boesen Photography & Design

Hi there

Have just installed a clean version of CPG 1.4.3 and it seems to work great. I only have one issue. The search. Somehow it won't accept danish characters like æ ø å in the search. It comes up with "no images to display".

The funny thing is that the first word in the keyword list is Brøndby, which is generated automatically, and when hitting that keyword it comes up with "NO IMAGES TO DISPLAY"

Link: http://www.stockit.dk/cpg143/search.php

I have tried to search the forum, but can't seem to find any solutions. Is there any?

Best Regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:45:29 am by mboesen »

mboesen

Re: Search won't accept int. characters (danish) like æ ø å???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:14:31 am »

Ps. I didn't have that problem in 1.3.x at all  ???

mboesen

Re: Search won't accept int. characters (danish) like æ ø å???
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:25:23 am »

Ok, have finally figured out what the problem is. Now I just need a solution?

When I upload my photos the keywords and description are entered in Photoshop and that is being read automatically by Coppermine. That works fine and the keywords are being added etc. But it just doesn't recognize danish letters like æ,ø,å. However if I open the photo and choose EDIT FILE INFORMATION and hit APPLY MODIFICATIONS without changing anything then it works. Thats of cause nice to know, but adding a lots of images and then having to open them all and click apply modifications is a drag. Is there a batch function to do that or is there a solution, so the keywords entered in Photoshop is read correctly?

Hope this helps to find a solution

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

your site probably uses utf-8, while the info entered in Photoshop probably are in latin/western. No easy workaround known (except avoiding special chars)

mboesen

By my site do you mean Coppermine or my webhost? If Coppermine would it help changing to something else than utf-8 or is that a bad idea?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I refered to your coppermine pages of course. Using utf-8 is recommended, I wouldn't switch to another encoding. However, I have no idea if IPTC supports utf-8 at all, so I'm at a loss right now. Please experiment with it and do some google-research and let us know your results.

Lara

• Coppermine newbie

Isn't it a bad idea recommending utf-8 as standard if EXIF/IPTC doesn't fully support it since iptc/exif functionality is part of coppermine and it's vital for almost every (semi-)professional photographer?

mboesen

You are right - it is a very vital thing and it is hard to avoid special characters in Names, Places and Citys etc.

The strange thing is that it worked in 1.3.x.

What has changed is that I now use Coppermine 1.4.3, but also Photoshop CS2 (used CS before). If I enter the special characters manually in Coppermine it works. So it is not the characters themselves, but the way they are extracted from the IPTC and used in Coppermine. And last, if I open the photo with Edit File Info and hit Apply Modification (without changing anything) then it works as well. Except I have noticed that if a keywords starts with a special character, then it is erased in Coppermine.

I have searched Adobe Forum and found nothing. Entered the question, but no answer as of now.

Still searching for answers!?!?!?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 01:37:53 pm by mboesen »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

not so strange imo - cpg1.3.x didn't come with utf-8 as default encoding

mboesen

Ok, didn't know that. What was the (standard) encoding in 1.3.x ?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

language encoding depended in cpg1.3.x on the language you used, for danish it used to be iso-foobar-something (latin/western) as far as I can remember.

Lara

• Coppermine newbie

Is there meanwhile a solution for it? Or do I have to look for another database if I want to have full IPTC/EXIF support for german language?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

use western encoding if you need Umlauts in IPTC instead of using utf-8 encoding in coppermine. You'll loose the benefits utf-8 offers of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.