Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: image visual analysis can it be done with GD or IM ?  (Read 10002 times)

flux

• Contributor
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
image visual analysis can it be done with GD or IM ?
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:19:06 pm »

hi,

I'm looking for some inputs on ways to perform a visual image analysis.

What i mean by that is that i'd like to analyse an image not in terms of technical information but more based on its visual aspect so that i can compare different pictures with various formats and have an idea if the two pictures look alike or not..
That would be some kind of CRC describing the picture.. I now it's something that is done by a few softwares out there but i can't find any info on some php libs GD/IM powered or not that would do that kind of thing..

I also don't know if there's and exact technical word to name that kind of analysis so if you have some knowledge or keywords that would help me find some more info, it'd be nice to enlighten me a bit :)

thx

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: image visual analysis can it be done with GD or IM ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 04:03:49 pm »

something like Histogram added?

flux

• Contributor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 03:16:39 pm »

well i don't know what histograms are made for so i asked over there about that

Haven't found anything that would answer my question yet, IM or GD based, but i'm not sure i'm looking in the right places, seems like it has to do with morphology/shapes/edges analysis rather than just colors.

thx for the link anyway

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:14:28 pm »

Thw wikipedia page has some useful links - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBIR

Might be able to get this running using Fire, which uses IM.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 04:29:39 pm »

Someone who works for Riya contacted me through Friendster so I can try to see if that's something that we can use. Riya can do facial recognition and tag photos accordingly.

flux

• Contributor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 11:36:39 pm »

wow cool, that Fire things looks just like something i could use..

@TranzNDance

do you have any links from your Riya contact where i could check it out ?

Thx for the help and good thing you mentionned wikipedia that's definitely a tool i'm not using enough !

flux

• Contributor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 11:48:31 pm »

Fire looks very interesting, is GPL but i don't think any lib was developped for external purposes

Riya is definitely the thing i'm looking for but also definitely commercial, i doubt they'll release any public lib but if you've got a contact there and it doesn't go against CPG policies, well..

i'll keep looking for a GPL lib in the meantime, i can't believe there's nothing available on the subject..

flux

• Contributor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:55:55 pm »

just wanted to report here what i've found and experimented on the cbir subject..

basically i've only been able to implement cbir using two open sources projects :

- a java lib based on apache lucene text search engine : http://www.semanticmetadata.net/lire/
- and a fully operational framework, GIFT (GNU Image Finding Tool, aka ex viper) : http://www.gnu.org/software/gift/

in both cases and especially with GIFT i don't think it can be embedded inside php so it has to work on a remote server and the image catalog has to be synchronized with your gallery thru third party processes..

as i haven't had much success with GIFT, install and stability problems on my debian setup, i made a quick and dirty xml based "cbir http server" in java using LIRE library..
LIRE is probably a lot more flexible than GIFT, on the other hand GIFT CBIR is probably better than LIRE's, not to mention the very efficient feedback system that GIFT offers which lets you specify good and bad macthes in order to improve the results..

My goal was to simply locate duplicate images and both cbir engines are efficient enough to do that easily.
If i can find some spare time i'll try to include a cbir feature on my demo gallery, using my java server..

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.