Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Umlaute / special character problem when uploading / batch adding (BUG?)  (Read 5778 times)

Cyclist

• Coppermine novice

I discovered a strange problem which I can't solve by myself. I use IPTC for my pics, read EXIF/IPTC is activated when uploading.

Within the IPTC fields all Umlaute or special Characters like Ä or È are displayed as HTML entities.

For the database field title the character È is deleted after uploading/batch adding, Ä is displayed correctly.

For the database keywords all keywords containing a special character or Umlaut are displayed correctly but aren't found when searching for this keyword although they exist. It's also not working with album keywords.

Also phrases like Giro d'Italia cause problems.

Do you have any idea why?

Since my gallery isn't online yet I can't provide a link now. I don't use UTF-8 but ISO-8859-1 for my whole website. Coppermine is converted to ISO-8859-1.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Umlaute / special character problem when uploading / batch adding (BUG?)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:42:48 pm »

not the recommended method to run coppermine - we recommend using utf-8 (for good reasons).

Cyclist

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 10:27:31 pm »

I can't use UTF-8 since my whole website is in ISO and my design doesn't work with UTF-8 for some reasons. I am not sure if my problem with the IPTC fields / keywords is caused by the charset. Why are certain characters deleted when using ISO? That doesn't sound logical to me. Coppermine should work for all charsets if you can choose the charset.

I used another script in the past with IPTC/EXIF support in the past, there I could search for keywords with Umlaute or special characters although my website uses the ISO charset. Why shouldn't this possible with coppermine?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:49:15 am by Cyclist »

Cyclist

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:42:26 am »

the keywords, title etc. are added from the IPTC fields. I discovered that if I add the keywords manually the keyword search works but not if added automatically from the IPTC fields. I wonder why.

soro

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 03:31:51 am »

Don't know whether this issue has been resolved elsewhere, but I have the same one. My site is on UTF-8. Special characters (in my case á, é, ñ, etc.) in Keywords and Titles parsed from IPTC info are entered into DB as html entities and display correctly, but aren't searchable, if only because the amp is converted into html entity itself if I try to search with html entity instead of character. Nor can I edit the keywords in the "edit keywords" interface. Once I edit and save image descriptions, the characters are stored in the db in unicode and can be searched. --> Before edit & save, "ñ" is "ñ" in the database --> search won't work. Afterward, it's "ñ" (hehehe, not that one, but a unicode ntilde) --> search seems to work.

Edit: This is, of course, the same problem that hasn't found a solution here:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=26049.0
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 07:01:47 am by soro »

Lara

• Coppermine newbie

If this problem persists maybe this is a bug in cpg an some of the developers should take a look into it. (Or removing IPTC support from the feature list). In my point of view this is a big problem and I have no idea how to solve this because the problem occurs with utf-8 AND iso western encoding.

Or is there a working solution meanwhile?

sessio

• Coppermine newbie
  • Webmaster of Sessio
    • Sessio, the live music organization of Kemijärvi Finland

I have same problem with "IPTC Copyright:" ä and ö letters are ä etc. Cpg is using utf-8 coding.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Confirming the issues with Coppermine being run using the recommended encoding utf-8, with IPTC not being utf-8 aware. Workaround: avoid Umlauts and other non-latin chars in IPTC fields. I don't have a fix available, sorry.

jokas

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:18:25 pm »

some news about a bugfix?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:48:42 am »

Not as long as IPTC is not utf-8 enabled, sorry.

jokas

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 09:59:36 am »

unfortunatly it doenst work with utf8 iptc tag. i use the progam fotostation. that allows to save utf8 iptc tag.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.