Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User/Group/Album permission snafu...  (Read 5962 times)

savage

• Coppermine newbie
User/Group/Album permission snafu...
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:51:05 am »

Been poking around in here for awhile and haven't found an answer to my particular problem, so hopefully this isn't one of those asked-and-answered-a-million-times issues:

CPG 1.4.2 on Unix; Created a new Group with permissions to upload to public galleries, with Admin approval. Tested an initial User Account assigned to that group and was given a very limited number of albums into which an image could be placed.

Read the documentation and figured that there was probably an issue with certain albums not being set to "Everybody (Public Album)", so I went into the Album Properties of one of the Albums that didn't show up in the list mentioned above...

...and found something weird. In Album Properties, according to the Docs, under "Permissions for this Album", there should be a line that says "Albums can be viewed by:", with a drop-down box next to it.

I don't have that. The first line under "Permissions for this Album" is "Album Password".

I checked a different installation of CPG 1.4.2 on the same server and it does have the "Albums can be viewed by" line. I even re-uploaded 'modifyalb.php' from my download of CPG 1.4.2, with no effect.

So... any ideas?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 01:06:06 am by Nibbler »

Azrayen

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • azrayen.net
Re: User/Group/Album permission snafu...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:02:55 am »

Been poking around in here for awhile and haven't found an answer to my particular problem, so hopefully this isn't one of those asked-and-answered-a-million-times issues
Well... unfortunatly, it is. ;)

However, go on your config page and set Albums can be private to YES.

Here is the text of the help pop-up of this function :
Albums can be private

If set to YES then your gallery can contain albums that are visible only to users that belong to a specified group. This is ideal for creating albums that contain files that you want accessible to only a select group of people. You could also create a userID and password and inform specific users/customers of the ID and password needed to view these files.

If a user is a member of a group that can have its own gallery and this option is turned on then this user will have the permission to hide any of his/her albums from other users.

This option does not determine whether users can have personal galleries at all, nor does it determine who is allowed to upload and who is not (these settings are accessible in the groups manager). You should only set this option to NO if you really know what you're doing (by default, it is set to YES).

Note: if you switch from 'yes' to 'no' all currently private albums will become public!

Regards,
Azrayen'

savage

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 01:47:32 am »

OK, fair enough... but then, if all albums are, by default, public (because no albums are allowed to be private), why are only certain albums showing up in the new User's list?

To clarify: Created new Group; created new User in that group. When uploading a file, only about 10 of 35 albums are available to this new User to put his image into.

I guess what I'm not getting is where and how to define who gets to upload to what album. I thought it was an all-or-nothing proposition (you can upload to all public albums, or you can't upload at all), but that doesn't explain how only certain albums are available to a non-Admin, Registered user.

-- EDIT --

Tried setting the "Albums Can Be Private" to "Yes", then back to "No" -- nothing changed. Still only get a limited number of albums available to the user in question.

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:49:16 am »

You set upload permissions on individual albums in album properties. Album visibility also affects the albums that appear in the uploading dropdown box.

savage

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:59:05 am »

You set upload permissions on individual albums in album properties. Album visibility also affects the albums that appear in the uploading dropdown box.

Ah, OK, gotcha. What was throwing me was the term "Visitors".

Don't know if this is of use to you Dev folks, but one of the things that's really caused me headaches in trying to learn/troubleshoot CPG is the lack of uniform terminology; had "Visitors can upload files" read "Users can upload files", I'd've figured it out sooner. I know it's to-each-his-own, but for what it's worth, "Visitors" comes across like "Anybody viewing this public album" - and in that case, I wouldn't want them to be able to upload to it.

I wouldn't presume to offer alternative terms because I know different people use CPG in different ways; just mentioning it as food for thought.

Anyway, thank you - that solved it. Much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.