Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How stable is 1.4.2 Stable from the 1.3.4 version when upgrading?  (Read 8473 times)

Cyberpawz

• Coppermine frequent poster

I'm on the fence when it comes to upgrading Coppermine...

I see, or hear all the new key features of the new Coppermine, but I also see the issues like not being able to see pictures, and all that fun stuff when it comes to updating everything... I'm worried about updating the coppermine gallery, with all the live data I have.  I have been working on this server for over 2 yrs now with only one major crash, and that was a HD issue... and now we come along and update to a new rev totally...

I really do want to update, but I fear about loss of data, etc... how stable and ease of upgrading is 1.4.2 from 1.3.4? Do I have anything to worry about, or is this just general problems that people have if they don't follow instructions?

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
Re: How stable is 1.4.2 Stable from the 1.3.4 version when upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 09:13:37 am »

Cyberpawz,

Do an sql dump (backup) of your database. Backup your config.inc.php file.  Backup any modified files that you can think of.
Maybe even go so far as to print a copy of your CONFIG setup and USER setups.   Then upgrade.   

Most of the issues that have been encountered have  been due to misunderstandings of what the upgrade steps are. A rare few have been 'real' issues but of special needs that don't affect most users. A large percentage of these 'rare' issues have been on foreign language issues.   I believe that most, if not all have been addressed and solved.   A common problem seems to be one of using old themes or old language files with the new version of coppermine. 

Always start with the "classic" theme as your default and leave the theme selector on so that you can switch between themes as you test your own custom theme during the upgrade process.

The ratio of postings to downloads, however, has been very, very low.  A very good sign that 1.4x is an exceptional upgrade.

Dennis

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

mboesen

• Boesen Photography & Design
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:13:46 am »

It all sounds very well, but if you look through the board there has been a lot of issues and I really wish I hadn't done it. That meaning that the actual update went well, but I have a serious issue, since the SEARCH FUNCTION won't work and since all my links from my website is based on the search function, then my website is pretty much unusable. Going into the Coppermine database and choosing the SEARCH FUNCTION I just get the webpage indicating that the page don't excist. Really weird. My site has been "down" close to two weeks and there have not been any help to find in here. Apparently not a common problem, but a very annoying one  :(

I now tried to install a clean version and I had some issues with the danish language file which is fixed, I had problem uploading pictures, which is also fixed. Now I have to test if it read my FILE INFO from Photoshop, haven't done that yet. The problem is that I have uploaded more than 4000 images and really would like to get the UPDATE version working instead of starting over with uploading all the images again.

Be careful!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 10:51:41 am »

as suggested, your issues come from using a old language file. What to you seems to be a large number of issues isn't much imo, considering the large number of downloads of the cpg1.4.2 package. Keep in mind that users who have no issues usually don't post.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 10:53:54 am »

mboesen,

If I recall correctly, your issues first started with an unconventional method of upgrading.  (not the steps outlined in the documents).  You also had upload and search issues with 1.3x in the recent past and you also had issues with the Danish language.

Personally, I'd go back to 1.3x get it all working again and try the upgrade in the conventional manner.

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

mboesen

• Boesen Photography & Design
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:21:08 am »

I think you recall wrong. I have used Coppermine for more than a year (or so) and have had no problems at all. Suddenly one day (two weeks ago) I couldn't upload photos and I found the "cure" and fixed it (unable to resize etc....). At the same time I updated to the newest version and it worked fine until I tried to follow my links and using the search. Search won't work at all. No page, website or whatever you call it shows.

I followed the guide to upgrading completely. So I don't really see where you get that from?

Now I am afraid to *beep* it even more up if I downgrade, but you are probably right. I should try that.

Link:
http://www.stockit.dk/cmfoto/index.php

Search page that show when hitting the search buttom:
http://www.stockit.dk/cmfoto/search.php

- GauGau  - you are probably right, but it is frustrating. Tried to upload the danish language file to the updated version as well and choose the classic theme, but the search still don't work.

Cyberpawz

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 03:40:54 pm »

as suggested, your issues come from using a old language file. What to you seems to be a large number of issues isn't much imo, considering the large number of downloads of the cpg1.4.2 package. Keep in mind that users who have no issues usually don't post.

With over 800 galleries, 300+ users, and over 23,000 files on a server, you can understand after seeing some of the "issues" here on the forum, that it makes me a little uneasy to upgrade...

On that side note, I though 1.4.x was suppose to have .gif animation capabilities... since december of 2004 the GIF format became free for everyone to use, and was no longer under legal restriction?

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 04:36:18 pm »

None of the issues will result in a loss of data and they are all fairly trivial to fix. 1.4.3 will be released soon, you could wait for that if you wish.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 05:43:05 pm »

On that side note, I though 1.4.x was suppose to have .gif animation capabilities... since december of 2004 the GIF format became free for everyone to use, and was no longer under legal restriction?
there is gif support in cpg1.4.2, but nobody said that there would be support for animated gifs, just because the image libraries coppermine is using (GD or ImageMagick) don't support animated gifs, but only static ones. Who said that there was going to be support for animated gifs?

Cyberpawz

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 06:41:07 pm »

there is gif support in cpg1.4.2, but nobody said that there would be support for animated gifs, just because the image libraries coppermine is using (GD or ImageMagick) don't support animated gifs, but only static ones. Who said that there was going to be support for animated gifs?

With this link: Competition: artists wanted You laid out the format of what you were looking for, for images... I didn't see .gif so I wasn't sure what was going on there or was .gif not a functioning part of coppermine or not yet.

As for the animated images, I was hoping since movies were upload-able, and my guess viewable? Or are they up-loadable, and if people want to see them, downloadable only?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 01:02:30 am »

why don't you just try for yourself and find out if animated gifs can be uploaded? In the competition thread I didn't ask for gifs because we already have gifs. I didn't ask for all file types coppermine supports, but only for those that we don't have yet on the demo. The thread you refer to is not a support thread, don't draw false conclusions. I didn't say "here's a list of all file formats that coppermine supports"...

Cyberpawz

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 05:35:01 am »

why don't you just try for yourself and find out if animated gifs can be uploaded? In the competition thread I didn't ask for gifs because we already have gifs. I didn't ask for all file types coppermine supports, but only for those that we don't have yet on the demo. The thread you refer to is not a support thread, don't draw false conclusions. I didn't say "here's a list of all file formats that coppermine supports"...

Actually I was hoping, I wasn't assuming... I was hoping that with the new version you might if packaged it with a new GD version or not, meh my mistake :p

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 09:01:19 am »

no version of coppermine ever came with GD; GD is an image library that needs to be installed on your server (it usually comes with PHP) by the person who administers it. We couldn't bundle it with coppermine even if we wanted. If you buy a new car, it doesn't come with a new road to drive on nor a new wife to sit next to you: mainly because the car manufacturer has no influence on roads nor marriages. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.