Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HQ Photos  (Read 7727 times)

JJ1973

• Coppermine regular visitor
HQ Photos
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:01:05 am »

Hi,

I have asked this question before and I have viewed another topic regarding this and have not still been able to get my images to show up in high quality. Every time I try and upload an image over the size of 1000x2000 I get a 505 error message. Do I need image magik or some form of ftp or http file upload to get the photos to HQ?? Please let me know what I could be doing wrong. I noticed other coppermine galleries are able to have HQ images in their galleries.

JJ

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: HQ Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 02:17:23 am »

You are running into memory limitations - it takes a huge amount of memory to resize large pixel images.  Coppermine creates the thumb and intermediate images during the upload process.  If the resize fails, no image is added to your gallery.  You may have success with ImageMagick, but it takes resources just like GD does.  You could also ask your host to increase the memory allotted to PHP.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

JJ1973

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:33:50 am »

How would I go about asking them to increase the memory? Is it something I can do on my own at all??

JJ

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 05:07:35 am »

Depends on the host. My host lets us change the php.ini for our own accounts.

JJ1973

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 05:59:19 am »

Should I ask them to allot the memory to a specific size?

JJ

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 06:01:21 am »

It's normally 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, or 64MB.  I'd start low and ask to be increased to 16MB as you are probably sitting at 8MB right now.  Without seeing a phpinfo I can't tell you for sure.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

JJ1973

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 06:11:37 am »

I apprieciate the help. They told me they could not increase it because I am on a shared server. Which is crap. But what can you do?? Does the 1.4 offer a different option or would it be the same??

JJ

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 09:45:14 am »

jj,

Any script that will resize on the fly will require a good deal of server memory.  There's simply no way around it. At least not on the server side.  The only workaround is on your desktop.   Resize the originals and save them in a different folder with the same names  prior to uploading.  Make them a size slightly larger than your intermediate view settings but well within the size that your server will handle (If you make them the same size or smaller than your intermediate view settings, no intermediate size will be created).  Upload these resized photos to your site After you have batch added them, overwrite the original files with your larger ones.   

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.