Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ajax for the admin area  (Read 3824 times)

MetalHellsAngel

• Coppermine novice
Ajax for the admin area
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:50:28 am »

There is a style of java I was reading about that could probably help with alot of admin feature requests it's called Ajax java  and I think it would be particularly useful for many requests for improvements in the admin area. Of course only the webmaster would be required to have java since it would onled be used in the  admin section.

http://www.ajaxpatterns.org/AJAXFrameworks

Here's a demo site. http://openrico.org/demos.page

I could definatly see some potential in using this, possibly drag and drop album layout editing, also possible making the batch add process a little faster, dealing with users and permissions are just a few thoughts. What do you think?

Angel
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 08:36:49 am by MetalHellsAngel »

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
Re: Ajax for the admin area
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 09:26:01 am »

One of the biggest problems with ajax is useability without javascript and a heavy reliance on CSS which can be frustrating when you are trying to get advanced features working accross as many browsers as possible. IMO, the admin area is the LAST place you want ajax, simply because of the number of factors that can go wrong, and leave you unable to administer your gallery.

I think Ajax will be much better supported in the next generation of browsers, and it might be worthwhile to look at then.

If you feel strongly enough to do some research, I would like to see a proof of concept, perhaps you might convince us it would be worthwhile for 1.5.  The proof of concept should show an IMPROVEMENT to usuablility over the current methods, not just a DIFFERENT way to do it.  There's no point to change for change's sake.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Ajax for the admin area
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 11:52:45 pm »

Ajax is a buzzword that has got a lot of attention lately. It's an acronym that summarizes a bunch of technologies that have been around for long already, Everybody loves it, and it's great if used to improve the experience of users. I can rather see it used on the frontend (the part the regular user can see) as the backend.
Using Ajax just for the sake of it is (as donnoman pointed out) not a good idea.
Anyway, Java is not related or used in Ajax, it's actually JavaScript (an entirely different animal).
Ajax will be used if needed, but we won't go through the backend just to add some JavaScript gimmicks to it, so this is not a valid feature request imo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.