Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Categorized albums aren't listed on home page  (Read 13243 times)

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
Categorized albums aren't listed on home page
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:09:45 pm »

If I give any category to an album other than 'no category,' that album will no longer appear on the photo gallery home page. It's still listed in the category list, of course, but that's the only way you can access it. Even if you click on 'album list', there are no categorized albums shown. I've changed the category level setting from the default '2' to higher numbers, but this doesn't help. Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 06:51:56 am by TranzNDance »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Categorized albums aren't listed on home page
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:18:30 pm »

I can't duplicate this on my 1.4.2 install.  In your config page, set "Show first level album thumbnails in categories" to yes.  You probably have it set to no.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:04:54 am »

Thanks for the response. My config for 'show first level album thumbnails in categories' is set to 'Yes.' I've attached a screen shot of the Album List View config panel to show all the settings there.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:27:58 am »

Link?
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 09:26:05 am »

The site is password protected. With your permission, I'll send you the link and password in a private message.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 01:15:43 pm »

In the content of main page list, add catlist.

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 01:40:15 pm »

In the content of main page list, add catlist.

I don't have any problem displaying the category list--if I restore 'catlist' to the main page list it appears just fine. Whether the catlist is listed in the field or not has no affect on the appearance (or non-appearance, as the case may be) of the albums I've given categories to. Only those albums with *No category* appear in the album list at the top of the home page. The categorized albums are listed in the category list, but never in the album list.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 02:10:19 pm »

Do the first level categories contain albums or only categories? The categorized albums aren't going to show in the no category albums section.

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 02:24:32 pm »

Do the first level categories contain albums or only categories? The categorized albums aren't going to show in the no category albums section.

Currently the categories are all nested under a broad 'All Albums' category. The parent category of the 'All Albums' category is '*No category*', and I can't change it to anything else unless I move it under another category. I can't delete or move the 'No category' category. The sub-categories reach down to the third level beneath 'All Albums', as shown in the attached screen shot.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 02:35:23 pm »

hmmm... I dunno... All Albums seems kinda redundant. What would be its sibling category, Some Albums? How about moving the children of All Albums to No Category. Besides, having too many levels of categories effects the meta albums because there is a limit to the levels they can drill down (unless that has been resolved). Even then having All Albums doesn't look right. In case there is confusion, putting a category into No Category just means it isn't a child of any other category.

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 02:36:45 pm »

Currently, there are only albums in the 'Albums in progress' category (5 of them); all other albums are uncategorized, and thus appear at the top of the home page. If I give *any* category to an album, whether first level or third level, it is no longer displayed at the top of the home page. In the category list, the setup shown above results in a display like this:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 03:58:23 pm by ambivalentmaybe »

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 04:07:26 pm »

hmmm... I dunno... All Albums seems kinda redundant. What would be its sibling category, Some Albums? How about moving the children of All Albums to No Category.

If I move a sub-category of 'all albums' under 'no category,' it still doesn't display at the top of the home page--only in the category list. Like this, for example, with the 'Albums in progress' category moved directly beneath 'no category':

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 05:13:02 pm »

I think I understand the problem being reported by "ambivalentmaybe".  You want the link "Album List" in the top menu to go to the "home page" (and show all your categories and first level of albums), but instead it goes to the album list of the current category you are in, by design.  For example, you go to an album in progress which has no category.  Now you click on "Album List" at the top and it will show you only the other albums with no category.  That's what the link is designed to do.  If you go to an album with a category, for example, one of your wedding ones, then click on "Album List", you should find that it now shows the albums in your wedding category, but none others.

I jumped in at 1.4.x so I don't know how it was before.  "Album List" is now designed to show the albums in the current category.  What you want instead is a "Home" link.  I have a custom system menu with such a "Home" link and have removed the "Album List" link for similar reasons.  I probably will add it later but right now my category structure doesn't require such a nested album list.  Maybe in your case, you want to modify your "Album List" link so it goes to the home page where all the stuff you want to be listed is listed.  (You would do this in your theme.php, using the "sample" theme.php code as an example.  There are other threads that detail this, or I could post my suggestion here, if I am correct about what you are asking.)

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 01:20:00 am »

I think I understand the problem being reported by "ambivalentmaybe".  You want the link "Album List" in the top menu to go to the "home page" (and show all your categories and first level of albums), but instead it goes to the album list of the current category you are in, by design.  For example, you go to an album in progress which has no category.  Now you click on "Album List" at the top and it will show you only the other albums with no category.  That's what the link is designed to do.  If you go to an album with a category, for example, one of your wedding ones, then click on "Album List", you should find that it now shows the albums in your wedding category, but none others.

Ideally, I want the album list on the home page to display all the albums, regardless of what category they're in, regardless of what level. The three-by-four table for the ablum list on the home page is much more attractive than the category list, and I want visitors to see all the ablums in the order I've arranged them in--an order that does not correspond to their category. But users should still be able to view the albums by category if they so wish.

So, yes, I think what you're describing, Paver, is about what I'm looking for. (When the categorized albums started disappearing from my home page, I thought it was some setting I had wrong--I didn't realize it was the way it was designed to work.) If you could post a link to the other discussions, or detail your suggestion in this thread, I'd appreciate it.

To get the proper display, I can at this point just keep the albums uncategorized--the categories and album names are fairly redundant with the small number of albums I have up thus far. But, as more material gets added, the categories will become more important.

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 03:46:23 am »

Ideally, I want the album list on the home page to display all the albums, regardless of what category they're in, regardless of what level.

Coppermine doesn't work this way, you'll have to create a mod or plugin to get what you want.

Categories, can hold albums directly assigned to it, and other categories.

Albums can only be attached to a single category.

Your best bet IMO is to follow what Thu suggested. Elminate the "All Albums" category, and set the children of All Albums to No Category and allow no Un-categorized albums.

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 04:00:10 am »

You know, it looks like I assumed you were upgrading to the new version and that you had the feature you want in the previous version.  Now that I'm on the same page, donnoman has your answer.  It wouldn't be that difficult to create such a mod or plugin but it would take some work.  If you follow his suggestion, you'll have to avoid subcategories if you want *all* the albums to be listed.  The home page only lists the first level of albums.

However my suggestion would be if you want to organize albums now into categories & subcategories (for organization-sake), go ahead and accept that only the categories (and first level of albums if there are any) will be listed on your home page.  Compromise on the output and set up the organization from the beginning.  Then maybe such a mod or plugin will be created (maybe by you); I was thinking of doing something similar but I don't know when I might get to it.

ambivalentmaybe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 06:40:53 am »

Thanks to everyone for the advice; I appreciate it. I'll post again if I figure something out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.