Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to do things the wrong way ??  (Read 2993 times)

WarpGate

• Coppermine newbie
How to do things the wrong way ??
« on: December 12, 2003, 08:48:38 pm »

Hi,

Can anyone help, I have had a site now for quiet sometime, loads of uses, lots of traffic, lots of photos (all sounds good so far) it was all started as a bit of a laugh....

Except it has gained lots of people wanting to chat (here is the problem)

I have the standalone version installed, how can I add a forum to this keeping all my user names and passwords ?? from what I can gather I have done this the wrong way round, but at the time i never thought I'd need a forum

Can anyone help, I'm not a php or mysql wiz at all, I did manage to install coppermine on my own but not that confident....

Any advice would be great..

Many Thanks in advance

Warpy

http://www.warpgate.co.uk - For Belly Button Lovers !

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 10:30:33 am »

if you're not in for some scripting/hacking, I guess you install your forum as standalone for the moment and don't show it to the public. Then manually register all your current coppermine users in your forum. Once this is done, switch on coppermine-bbs integration. I know this is some work although - what number of users are we talking about?

GauGau

WarpGate

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 10:42:14 am »

Ouch

490 Users on 20 Pages (according to the bottom of the registerd user screen) !!!

Seems like I might have my work cut out...

Any other options, anyone fancy helping <grin>

EZ

• VIP
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 12:55:46 pm »

I suggest you invest some time in writing an explanation and clear instructions for your users, in which you ask them to re-register through the new forum. If you explain the reasons and provide step by step instructions, I'm sure most users won't any problem with your request. It's just a 2 minute effort for each of them, and you'll even get to filter out some ghost registrations from yor current list of users...

It is possible to copy users from Coppermine to one of the forum scripts, but you'll have to use a database administration tool (eg. phpMyAdmin), and probably get involved with some  export/import techniques. It isn't rocket science and the experince will certainly leave you with a lot of new knowledge and satisfaction, but it will take time and some frustration.

By the way, if you do take the plunge and install a forum, I recommend phpBB. I did not make any thorough comparison to other available forum systems, but phpBB is a true open source project, with a huge installed base, plenty of available support information, and it integrates well with Coppermine.

Eyal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.