Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade Several Sites to Latest Version  (Read 5153 times)

Craig Walsh

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • Lucies Farm Ltd.
Upgrade Several Sites to Latest Version
« on: January 08, 2006, 12:46:57 pm »

We have several Coppermine sites which have, to some extent, been customised:

www.bark.ch
www.whitehousevets.com/cpg  *
www.guernseycattle.com/copper  *
www.green-gully.com/copper

* These have been linked with the forums on the same site, although the single registration doesn't always work, particularly on the www.whitehousevets.com site

We've just noticed that you can't place comments on the www.whitehousevets.com Coppermine site:  when you try to do so, you get this error message:

Script called without the required parameter(s).

I figured it was time to upgrade these Coppermine sites to the latest version of Coppermine, and check and double-check all the various settings.  I could struggle along and do this myself, and probably make a huge mess of it, and need to spend hours fixing it up.  Or (hence this post) I could ask someone who knows what they're doing to please do it for me.

These Coppermine sites all sit on the same, dedicated Linux server.  We have 24/7 support from the hosting company.  This is a "managed" server, so we don't have a control panel.  Instead, we ask someone at the hosting company to please make a change, set up a database, etc. for us and it's usually done within the hour, if not faster.

I've looked through the various postings here --- hungry college students who will install Coppermine for beer money.   :D   I'm looking for someone who will spend some time carefully doing this, and who has the patience (and skills) to check and double-check everything.

I don't know how long this will take, so it's hard for me to suggest a fair price.  At a guess, I'd say $100 to $150 --- but if you have the skills needed to do this, and the price is too low, please contact me.  I don't want to do the job as inexpensively as possible, only to discover that the 3,000 images on (say) the www.bark.ch Coppermine site have faded into the mists of cyberspace.

Payment via PayPal.

Thanks for considering my request.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 07:51:48 pm by TranzNDance »
Craig Walsh
CPG Photo Gallery - www.bark.ch
Member of the Association of Photographers (AOP)

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Upgrade Several Sites to Latest Version
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:11:14 pm »

Hi Craig,

having looked at your sites, it seems to me the only mods you have done to these galleries is basic theming, none of which should present a problem.

The site 'guernseycattle.com' does not appear to be bridged to the phpbb forum.  This may cause a problem if you subsequently bridge, with the user contributions losing theiridentity.  With you only having 5 users and 33 pics in the user galleries, this would not be a real problem to overcome, but access to the database to do it may be needed for this.
The phpbb board is considerably out of date, and uses one with a known security problem.  I suggest you upgrade that at the same time.

The site whitehousevets.com/ appears to be successfully bridged with an smf forum, not the latest but ok.

The theme changes required would not take long at all, the upgrading the galleries also not long.  The only fly in the ointment is the bridging the guernsey cattle site, which may add an extra hour or 2.

Of course all this is subject to having ftp access.  I assume you have that. 

Your budget should more than cover anyones costs (probably also counting any phpbb upgrade)
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:31:42 am »

Hi, Casper -

Sorry for the delay in responding.  It's been one of those days.

Your proposal sounds fine.  All the sites are on the same dedicated Linux server, and I have FTP access at what I believe is called the "root" level.  We also have 24/7 live support, either by telephone or by e-mail.  There is no control panel:  the managed support people replace (I suppose) the control panel.

It would be great to have the Guernsey bulletin board updated.  It's connected, via a script we purchased (and which the seller installed) from our Article Manager (content management) portion of the site.  I imagine that this script will work with a newer version of phpbb as well.  (The Article Manager site is accessed from www.guernseycattle.com and then "main site.")

I'm ready to go forward.  Would you like me to pay up front?  If so, please send me a private message with your PayPal e-mail address.  I will also send you the FTP user name and password.  I suspect that we have database access, but that's the type of gnarly thing that I ask the folks who manage the server to help me with.

I look forward to working with you.

P.S.   I just re-read your posting, and realised that it wasn't clear that you were actually offering to do th is for me.  You may have just been commenting on the tentative budget I set.  If I've misunderstood your posting, my apologies.

Regards,

Craig
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:41:27 am by Craig Walsh »
Craig Walsh

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 01:01:18 pm »

Hi Craig,

yes, I was just commenting on the feasibility and costs of the job, to assist both you and any prospective helper, I should have made that clear, sorry.

Unfortunately I'm not able to offer my services at the moment, my circumstances simply don't give me the time to take on any such work.

As far as I can see with your main site script, it is not in any way actually bridged to the forum or gallery, they all seem to be working as seperate scripts, just with links to each other.
The upgraded gallery and forum would easily be bridged together, and the links withn the article manager maintained.  But as to linking the registration/login process with the article manager I don't know.

Casper
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 01:29:15 pm »

Hi, Casper --

Thanks for the clarification.

The freelancers aren't beating down my door seeking to do this job. 

Anything more I can do to find someone?  Post on Elance?   ???

Thanks,

Craig
Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 07:36:08 pm »

Jobs done.   :)

The sites have been upgraded to the newest version, and we're happy campers.
Craig Walsh
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.