Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FTP Upload of big files  (Read 3983 times)

dbasulto

• Coppermine newbie
FTP Upload of big files
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:30:34 pm »

Hi,

i'd like a feature that could enable an ftp based upload of big files (bigger than the max amount of MB to be sent over php, set in php.ini which cant be changed in mosts hostings). Like, in the URI space to enter a file, an automated "ftp" line that lets you choose a file, then uploads it by ftp (using php ftp features) using a given user/pass/temp dir, and it internally adds it as an URI file, so it gets processed in CPG. It's like a bypass using URI upload for big files with FTP. Because, as of now, i do that. Use my hosting ftp acc, upload the big file, then enter the URI for it. The problem is that when allowing users to upload files, i cant disclose the hosting ftp info. So i tougth that a plugin could do that, but better if its native supported on CPG 1.4 ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 03:02:06 am by kegobeer »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: FTP Upload of big files
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:39:48 pm »

Why don't you FTP-upload plus batch-add, which is the recommended method for coppermine gallery admins?

dbasulto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:58:35 am »

that option sounds right, it's an OK method for what i'm doing now. but what if you have several users that require to upload big files? i have 2-3 users, so im handling that myself, but it'd be nice in future versions to let each user do it that way. I just like to point this out as a possible feature for next releases, in case it makes sense to cover a wider range of "weird" uses ;)

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 03:01:40 am »

Allowing guests to have FTP access begs for trouble.  This isn't an option we are considering.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

dbasulto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:28:49 am »

Allowing guests to have FTP access begs for trouble.  This isn't an option we are considering.

but what if they never use the ftp info? it does it internally? or using php ftp functions could be exploited?

there's a [ulr=http://www.azlankasim.net/?p=10l]wordpress plugin[/url] like that
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 03:41:03 am by dbasulto »

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 03:38:10 am »

You can't use the php ftp function to do that, it's not how they work. The script you mention is just a standard HTTP upload that then FTPs the file somewhere once it has been uploaded to the server. You can't get around the limitations of HTTP upload using either of the methods you suggest.

dbasulto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 03:41:45 am »

ok, so the only way around would be upload by ftp and then use URI upload (or batch add by admin)? ;)

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:45:01 am »

Use batch add. Using URL upload for files that are already on the server is just silly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.