Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Register  (Read 7480 times)

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
Register
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:20:44 am »

I can't seem to locate the register button for my 1.3.3 version. I have a login button but no register button?
Does anyone know where it would be so I can activate it for my website members?
Thank You
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:22:15 am by GauGau »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Register
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:22:46 am »

I recommend upgrading to 1.3.5.

You probably have registering disabled in your config settings.  Enable user registrations on Coppermine's config page.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 02:39:49 am »

I had a hard enough time setting this up.LOL! Is it hard?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 02:41:40 am »

Not after you RTFM.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:31:10 am »

I don't know what RTFM means

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 03:33:47 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

In nice terms, read the documentation.

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 03:38:45 am »

OK, What a friendly board.Thanks for the reply. Have a great day.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 08:23:03 am »

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 02:51:10 pm »

I read the article. Thanks. I am from Canada where we answer everything under the assumption that not everyone is a designer so I apologize for what may seem to be a redundant question.
But for us newbies, it is a warranted question, especially when we don't understand techy answers in the manual.
I will look elsewhere for my answers.

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 02:56:43 pm »

Oh, and for all the "newbies" out there in the same boat as me, this was not solved, I am as confused as I was and now frustrated.

Nibbler

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »

I don't understand what the issue is. There is an option in config called 'Allow new user registrations' which you need to set to 'yes'. How is that 'techy' ?

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 04:20:04 pm »

Yes, I got that. My issue was the question "Is it hard to upgrade" And yes it is because I have tried 10 times and it hasn't loaded yet.
I wanted to upgrade to the 1.3.5 but don't understand all the lingo in the manual.
It was a simple, humorous statement and all that needed to be said was "YES" it is impossible unless you are a wizard at this" The answer should have also said, "DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT"
 I just don't appreciate the RTFM abbreviation, I could have said to kegobeer, KMFA! but I didn't I took the polite, High road.
No big deal, I will figure it out eventually, and I will advise my users that their gallery will be down until I do.
Remember, it says Coppermine on the bottom and I will refer all my beginner users to ask their questions here.
I appreciate what very little help I did get.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 04:25:51 pm by canaduh69 »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 04:23:09 pm »

If upgrading is hard or not depends on your skills. Upgrading basically means: download cpg1.3.5, unzip it, upload it to your webspace (overwriting the existing files there), running upgrade.php in your browser once and you're done. With a fast internet connection, this shouldn't take you any longer than 5 minutes. I leave it up to your decision if you find this process hard.

[off topic]
Anyway, since you Canadians are all so friendly people who always answer every question, I'll just have to find a Canadian who will work as a supporter here. In fact, I better get a whole bunch of Canadians on the job - then all dev team members can focus on improving coppermine, while the friendly canadian support staff does all the hard work here. ;D
[/off topic]

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 04:50:02 pm »

Those instructions are great, thank you.
And on the other topic,
yes, you would be better off with some Friendly Canucks helping out to answer questions in a friendly, courteous manner.
If product developement is more your area than customer service, then you may want to check into it that way you can spend all your time developing and correcting your product.
I.E. If you had a question about my sight, since you decided to became a member and use my product, It would be my pleasure and honour to help you in any way I can. And if it's a redundant question, I would POLITELY say , "please refer to the manual and thank you for choosing our product to use on your site, we appreciate your choice in selecting us when you have So many more choices out there, without you the customer, we would have no purpose. again, on behalf of me and my staff, I thank you for choosing us"
I would definately not say or allow any employee of my site to say RTFM. Just my opinion, I treat people as I like to be treated.

I really appreciate the fact you all developed such a great product for us to use, we are very lucky and we appreciate all the work you people do.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 04:59:45 pm »

Have you answered thousands of support questions? I started out replying in that courteous manner but over time, repetitive questions and inconsiderate users just wear away at a person's patience. RTFM just becomes faster to type than Please read the manual. Those shortcuts enable supporters to save time to help people who have questions that go beyond the manual or questions that have already been answered in the forum countless times already.

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 05:45:28 pm »

Have you answered thousands of support questions? I started out replying in that courteous manner but over time, repetitive questions and inconsiderate users just wear away at a person's patience. RTFM just becomes faster to type than Please read the manual. Those shortcuts enable supporters to save time to help people who have questions that go beyond the manual or questions that have already been answered in the forum countless times already.
Yes I have answered thousands of support questions with my day job. I take between 100-150 calls a day over 20 years. Do the math. I beat everyone on this site hands down.I still give the client the respect they deserve.If anyone at my job uses a term like RTFM, they would be looking for a job 2 seconds after.
So is PRTM Please read the manual) slower to type than RTFM?
Didn't think so. See how much of a difference
I don't want to go on debating this, there is no excuse for ignorance, so please don't insult my intelligence by trying to give one.
I don't care how many posts you have to read, if you don't like the job and how it works, then quit. No one is forcing anyone to work here.
This site comes with my server plan, so I am entitled to ask any question I want and speak my mind in this forum.
My server people have been very accomadating and are updating the site as we speak. Now that is customer service!
Thanks and this topic is closed.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 06:58:21 pm »

Yeah, you get paid for that job. The client pays your bills; you don't give us sh!t. What you, and others like you, fail to see is that you are being rude when you do not read the manual or search the forums before asking help. That form of rudeness is inconsiderateness. Some people think their time is more valuable than supporters time. If people show considerateness, we give it back. Otherwise, get over yourselves.

We do enjoy helping people so that's why we stick around. We wouldn't want to let a few bad seeds keep us from helping the deserving ones.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 07:06:14 pm by TranzNDance »

canaduh69

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 09:14:53 pm »

Excuses, excuses. So what if I get paid, no one is forcing you do do this job. I consider it rude with answers I get from here. I DID read the manual, I still don't get it.
If ya can't stand the rebuttles, don't give them out.
Now leave this alone. Nothing you say will change my opinion.
I also work on a HUGE website for a HUGE band with 50,000 members strong, I don't get paid. But I answer with the respect and dignity our members deserve.
What you and others like you don't see is your answers are rude and a simple, polite answer would be sufficient.
No bad seeds here, just a customer who wants answers and if you consider that bad, then you have a pretty warped sense of what bad is.

Get over YOURSELF, I don't think my responses are ruining anything, I think you guys have taken care of that yourselves.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 12:47:12 am »

Enough said.  Thread locked.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.