Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resize large uploaded pics  (Read 3018 times)

TiTaN_pi8

• Coppermine newbie
Resize large uploaded pics
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:08:16 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (probably has been) but I used the search function and couldn't find it...

I want the pictures uploaded by users (and those batch-added by me, the admin) to be resized to a certain max width/height (max 800 pixels). So users should be able to select bigger files, but they should automatically be resized. I can't seem to find that option in the config section. Is it possible to do that?

BTW, is it normal that resizing pictures to thumbs (pics are @ 1600x1280) takes forever on a low-end computer? Computer: Pentium 200Mhz with 192MB RAM running Debian. Number of files: 72. Time to make small and medium thumbs: ~1 hour.

Thanks a lot in advance,
TiTaN_pi8

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: Resize large uploaded pics
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 02:21:19 pm »

When you upload an image a thumb and a 'normal' image get created. The normal is reduced in size. You can set this in config. When users browse the gallery the'll see the normal image with the option to view the fullres one. If you however want the original to gert resized too, you'll have to apply a mod.
Here you'll find 2! http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?board=33.0

Image editing (and creating thumbs is exactly that) needs a lot of resources. Processing 72 images and creating a normal and a thumb for it, orig 1600x1280... yup, may need an hour on a 200Mhz box

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Resize large uploaded pics
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 06:34:27 pm »

I can understand that your users may not know how to resize before uploading, but at least you as gallery admin should know your way around: batch-resize on the client before uploading. Check the tutorials section if you're not sure how to do that. A 200MHz can hardly be called a webserver that is meant to do image processing, so I recommend reviewing the whole idea of running your webserver publicly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.