Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERLOAD PROBLEM - NEED HELP  (Read 9659 times)

Dudu

• Coppermine newbie
OVERLOAD PROBLEM - NEED HELP
« on: October 22, 2005, 03:51:00 am »

I'm using coppermine 1.3 and my old server was saying my gallery was overloading them, so I changed to another server and the admin said the same thing, my gallery is overloading the server. I have almost 6,000 pictures with almost 2 millions of view. It has about 100,000 views per day.

Is there a way to solve it? I'm sure the server machine has a great performance, but why does the gallery overload it?

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
Re: OVERLOAD PROBLEM - NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:02:22 am »

D,

Once you have your gallery up, the load or bandwidth that your site uses is really a 'hit' issue. Looks like you have a lot of people accessing your site (we should all be so lucky). It may be that many are uploading, downloading, viewing pictures in excess of the bandwidth that you are allowed for your site. This will affect your bandwidth considerably especially if your original files are very large.   OR, it may be that many are linking images from your site to display on theirs and stealing your bandwidth, as well.

Dennis 

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Dudu

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 04:07:48 am »

D,

Once you have your gallery up, the load or bandwidth that your site uses is really a 'hit' issue. Looks like you have a lot of people accessing your site (we should all be so lucky). It may be that many are uploading, downloading, viewing pictures in excess of the bandwidth that you are allowed for your site. This will affect your bandwidth considerably especially if your original files are very large.   OR, it may be that many are linking images from your site to display on theirs and stealing your bandwidth, as well.

Dennis 

Thanks Dennis, I thought it was like a sql problem or something with the programming.
but I still think this is weird the server has a 10 mbs dedicated link, I know its alot of images being downloaded, but I also blocked uploaded by users and I blocked hotlinks to prevent bandwidth steal.

thanks anyway.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 04:10:29 am »

What exactly is being "overloaded"? Is it bandwidth or cpu resources?

Are you running a modded version? A link might help but it would help if you described your gallery and changes you've made.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 04:17:49 am »

Did you also block offline readers that download entire sites?  Those create the worse kind of bottlenecking.  I tried one of those on my site and while it was running I couldn't get in with my regular browser without incurring dbase access errors.

Dennis

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Dudu

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 04:36:14 am »

What exactly is being "overloaded"? Is it bandwidth or cpu resources?

Are you running a modded version? A link might help but it would help if you described your gallery and changes you've made.

I have to check with the server admin, but I guess it was a cpu resources, because when he shutted the gallery down, the server was normal, with videos downloads and a lot of visitors online.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:02:45 am »

do you have "one-the-fly" watermarking applied? This is the largest resource-eater I know. Do as suggested and post a link to your site for more ideas.

kitt1977

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 01:51:28 am »

I have the same isue ..

Traffic Overview:

Uniques: Pageviews: Hits: Transfer:
Today 5 235 1581 0.07 GB
Friday 304 54308 306627 12.70 GB
Thursday 386 52511 283160 9.51 GB
Wednesday 442 52937 311279 11.17 GB
Tuesday 457 20698 136578 3.90 GB

My hosting isp is complaining about the server load  :

We have noticed that your account is using many server resources at the moment. The hours your account has had 301486 requests for your site which is quite allot. We will have to ask you take measures to lower the load or we may be forced to temporarily suspend your website.

We hope that we do not need to take such drastic measures but it may be necessary to ensure good performance for other customers on the cluster. I'm sure that you understand our commitment to provide the best possible service to all customers.

My site  ->  www.partyghost.be -  coppermine on subdomain  - >  http://pictures.partyghost.be

We have about 3000 pictures online , and 200 a 500 unique visitors .. pictures have a maximums size of  400*300 .

I've disabled hotlinking - also using robots.txt and .htaccess file .

And disables random & last added in index file ..

Page generated in 0.69 seconds - 35 queries in 0.06 seconds - Album set : ; Meta set: ;

please help me out ... or my provider kicks me ... and it's hard to find a cheap provider with 17giga traffic limit a day .

Kitt

xplicit

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 02:19:50 am »

I can totally feel your pain...

Had the same situation with my hosting provider, after paying in advance for 2 years  they shutted down the website due to the fact it used too much of theire system recources. I was not even at 1/100 of my allowed bandwidth usage but one thing hosting companys never tell you in theire advertisements is the way they count system usage. Every database request is counted for instance my unique visitor numbers were small:

date                    requests      pages          unique visitors
7/Nov/05            148769         1709                   492
8/Nov/05            173892         2172                   700
9/Nov/05            227846         1798                   543

Notice that requests is a about factor 80 higher than the number of pages I got so if for instance you with your website have an avarage of let say 70 querys you get in your example for friday 54308*70 = 3.801.560 database request which is pretty high.

My hosting company said that they look at the totall server load by all sites and just give each site a procentual number to see if the site is large or below avarage. So if there are 20 sites hosted on 1 server, but the 19 are small sites with very low traffic amounts you can conclude that Imy website is allways the one which is using most of the resources. But they never tell you this when you sign up... My hosting company was by the way Hagen Hosting, so don't use them for large ammount of traffic ;)

I did a bit of research for your site and it seems you host your pictures at a server located in germany which is owned by servage.net sounds very good if you read what they are offering but they also note in a part of theire website :

"If at any time the Customer’s website generates enough bandwidth usage to affect the performance of other customer sites on the server, we reserve the full right to terminate the Customer’s domain name without refund."

Which in my opion is the same for : "If your site is active we will shut it down even if we say we provide you 510GB data transfer a month"  I really hate such misleading information. They even say theire computers are using 12GB RAM so also cpu resources are not theire reall problem.

I can only advice you to take a look at my other topic on this about coppermine for high performance websites: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=23663.msg108992#msg108992

Further I can say I moved my actvities to godaddy.com (https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=260) they are offering hosting plans at low rates no problems with them even after growing amounts of traffic (not as high as yours though I generate daily around 1-2GB)

Good Luck!
Don't ask me: Can you do this .... or Give me that...or I need Quick help in PM's. I'm not Santaclaus so post your questions on the board so it will be in the benefit for everyone.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 01:36:04 pm »

do you have "one-the-fly" watermarking applied? This is the largest resource-eater I know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.