Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [feat. req.] External Images Links / Use "remote" storage servers  (Read 9018 times)

flux

• Contributor
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
[feat. req.] External Images Links / Use "remote" storage servers
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:11:47 am »

Hi,

building a nice gallery with a few high rez pics, i've almost instantly encountered a few problems with disk usage and then thought of the following idea..

Basically it would use the current upload system that uses web URLs to the pictures to "upload", download and use the source pictures to produce thumbnails and intermediate pictures but then delete the downloaded source picture and only store the URL provided, as the picture location for the large version of that picture..

The navigation and all would behave just as if the picture was actually on the server, using local thumbnails and intermediate pictures but when the intermediate picture is clicked it would open the link to the source picture using the stored web URL, provided when doing the upload..

That way only "small" size pictures are actually stored on the server running the gallery and you don't really have to use a huge disk space to have a very large gallery..

A detail would be to define what to do when the source picture is not bigger than the intermediate picture settings,  guess it would be okay to download the remote and keep it locally..

I believe it would not be a very hard thing to do as almost nothing but the upload script would have to be modified and the only other script requirering modifications would be the scprit used to display large versions of the picture..

So the gallery could be used to centralise and archive pictures actually stored on various servers/locations, including local storage of course..

hope it hasn't been requested too many times before :)

.flux
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 12:25:15 am by TranzNDance »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: [feat. req.] External Images Links / Use "remote" storage servers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 12:25:00 am »

Thank you for the time writing the post. It has been requested and turned down many times. It would save you time in the future to search first.

flux

• Contributor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:27 am »

sorry about that,

i searched but didn't find it..

any technical reason why it's turned down ?

as i didn't really expect it to be added any time soon i started to hack my way into it myself and i'm already almost half way accross it, so..

i'm doing my ugly hacks into the 1.4 beta source, maybe you can tel me if it can be made through your plugin api or not, so i can make something more portable than what i do right now..

I'm quite confident it'll work smoothly and match my requirements.. and shouldn't interfere in any ways with the regular use of the gallery.

flux

• Contributor
    • CPG Remote Hack Demo
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 06:09:22 pm »

okay..

well i'll have my hack completed soon, it's not using remote servers to store the thumb and intermediate pics and it's not really made to steel bandwidth from the remote servers so i'm not sure it'll be of any use to most of the guys who requested a similar feature..

moreover i'm not planning on modifying the admin tools used to rebuild thumbs and all, so they would definitely not work with those remote pictures i'm using now..

anyways if i'm satisfied with it, may i post it somewhere on this forum or would it be considered reason enough to wipe me out of the forum ?

.flux

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 07:11:40 pm »

We welcome all contributions :), just post it somewhere and it will be moved into the mods forum by a moderator.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
MOVED: External Images Links / Use "remote" storage servers
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 07:52:00 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.