Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo size  (Read 3944 times)

knotty

• Coppermine newbie
Photo size
« on: October 07, 2005, 04:02:44 am »

Confused about what size to have my original photos. I noticed some users have big  originals, others are pretty small.

Question: Is there any advantage of using  large originals vs. small ones?

Thanks...knotty
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 06:41:03 pm by GauGau »

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
Re: Photo size
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:40:48 am »

Confused about what size to have my original photos. I noticed some users have big  originals, others are pretty small.

Question: Is there any advantage of using  large originals vs. small ones?

Thanks...knotty

It all depends on your intentions.  If you plan to allow downloads for people to print your photos for free.  I'm sure they would love big originals for photo finish quality.  But if you only want photos for people to view and enjoy, then anything over 1200 pixels wide is pretty much a waste based on the present maximum screen resolution of user monitors.  Confusius say: "What no fit in screen is loss for you and me."

The larger your original, the slower the upload, batch add process.
Large files also also eat up more bandwidth.  If you are allotted a small bandwidth load each month, original file size is a consideration as well.

Slower machines and dial-up users might think their computers froze when they click on your intermediate image and find their computers spinning for an interminably long time before the full-size image appears.  I'm on broadband and I get upset waiting 5 secs for Adobe Acrobat Pro to pop up when I accidently click a pdf link.

Dennis 

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

knotty

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Photo size
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 03:30:36 pm »

Thanks Dennis,
That answers it completely. I'll use small pics then because it's just for visual viewing.

knotty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.