Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPG 1.4.1 -batch upload issue with mulitple albums of same name  (Read 10330 times)

Castro Equestrian

• Coppermine newbie
CPG 1.4.1 -batch upload issue with mulitple albums of same name
« on: October 06, 2005, 05:34:38 pm »

Ok.  This is my first post and I hope I am not repeating something already covered.  Here is the problem...

I photograph horse shows, and I have set up my gallery something like this...    *=catagorys  /=albums

*club1
   *show date1
      *riding style1
         /Class 1
         /Class 2
         /Class 3
*club2
   *show date2
      *riding style1
         /Class 1
         /Class 2
         /Class 3
ect.

The peoblem I am having is when I go to do a batch upload you only see the last (2) levels (like *riding style & /Class 1), so *club2's album, /Class 1, is not available to upload to.  I am not having any problems creating the structure; Just in batch uploading to the albums.  Yes I know the simplest answer is to not have the same name albums, however here is a real world lay out.  The horse shows lay out their shows by class so it has to be that way.

*CSHA
      *English
         /Class 1
         /Class 2
         /Class 3
*PCR
      *English
         /Class 1
         /Class 2
         /Class 3

I have tested this with blank catagories and default album (New Album) and the best I could ever get was it showing the last catagory and both albums like they were in the same catagory instead of being in two different catagories.

Any suggestions? How hard is it to fix the batch upload, which works great otherwise, to show (3) or (4) levels deep, or even the whole path. (Catagory1/subcatagory1/subcatagory2/subcatagory3/Album1)

Castro Equestrian
www.castroequestrian.com/cpg
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 07:42:28 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: CPG 1.4.1 -batch upload issue with mulitple albums of same name
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 01:25:45 am »

not an actual bug report, but rather a request for another feature imo.

Castro Equestrian

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:10:58 am »

Ok then, I am requesting that the batch upload feature actually allow you to upload to ANY album in your gallery.  Call it what you want, "imo" it is an oversite; not one that many people would run in to.  It probably is the indirect result of making the Batch Upload look clean, should be a simple fix.

GauGau - > I meen no disrespect to you or the program but I have done my fair share of programming and while I am not up to date with PHP, nor have the time to learn it, I do understand how these things happen. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 09:21:06 am »

moving from bugs board to feature requests.

Castro Equestrian

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 11:22:34 pm »

I guess "out of sight out of mind".

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 12:05:43 am »

Castro Equestrian,

I'm a little confused here.  I have different categories, but each category has album(s) that share the same name as other categories.  I have no problem batch adding to these different albums.

I guess, what I am asking is:  "Are you refering to your website's file structure in your Coppermine/Albums directory where you physically upload your files and not your Coppermine gallery's category and album setup that visitors see?

If we are talking about the physical layout of your website's upload folders, then you may want to try removing the spaces in the folder names using an underscore in its place to see if that will make a difference.  Or try the other "Browsable interface (recommended)" 'no' option.

Dennis

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 06:54:29 am »

I guess "out of sight out of mind".
No, rather "feature freeze for cpg1.4.x". We won't add new features to cpg1.4.x, because the language files would then have to be modified.

Titooy

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • under construction...
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 09:52:32 pm »

Since a picture is worth 100 words:

Titooy

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • under construction...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 09:56:27 pm »

I would say it's a bug since what's in the batch add drop-down, is not representative of the real structure of the gallery.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 11:11:15 pm »

Apparently, like parent categories, subcategories cannot share the same name.  It confuses the drop down list for the albums.

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Titooy

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • under construction...
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 01:28:59 pm »

Apparently, like parent categories, subcategories cannot share the same name.  It confuses the drop down list for the albums.
Then it should either be fixed or at least added a warning in the help...

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 09:19:21 pm »

Then it should either be fixed or at least added a warning in the help...

Just for sake of trying.  I repeated the category/subcategory/album bit on 1.35 and it does something similar, although not quite the same.  If two or more subcats share the same name, the subcat title no longer appears on the drop down list. All you see are the album names. So in the instance above you would see something like:

English
   English
   English

Which would make it very difficult to determine what subcat/cat they belonged to.

Dennis

Titooy

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • under construction...
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 10:25:33 am »

Maybe this should be moved back to the Bugs forum then ;)

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 11:52:38 am »

Maybe this should be moved back to the Bugs forum then ;)

Oooh, ahhh, eee, ah... mmmm...   I'm leaning more towards a feature request. Primarily because Categories weren't designed to have the same name and the sub-cats in 1.4x are really just 'Categories' placed into 'categories'. And you can work around it by changing the names of the subcats a bit.   But, I can see a need to address this in the docs, and can see how others, though a minority,  might want to have this feature in the future.

Maybe someone will come up with a mod/hack for it along the way.

Dennis

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 07:42:16 am »

I agree: it's not a bug, but a feature request. In the future, we should have a function that generates a dynamic dropdown field (with some Ajax magic) that can return any album list needed in all places. Marking this thread as "valid" so it doesn't get forgotten once we start working on cpg1.5.x

Castro Equestrian

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 05:05:23 pm »

I would like to thank you all for at least taking the time to visit this issue.  After receiveing GauGau's intial responce I was ticked to say the least.  While I find the logic of "...you can work around it so it is not a bug..." ridiculous, I must also admit that only a small number of people might encounter this bug and it is certainly not a program crippling bug.

If anyone has any more questions about this matter feel free to email me:

brian@castroequestrian.com

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 08:12:20 pm »

While I find the logic of "...you can work around it so it is not a bug..." ridiculous,

I'm sorry, but I don't think I said it quite that way.  I simply stated the facts. My intent was simply to test your original thesis with both versions, 1.3 and 1.4,  of Coppermine and try to present an objective assessment, explanation, as well as a work around.  I also wanted to pinpoint where the issue might lay so that your concern might be addressed in future versions of CPG.  I appologize if my writing was misleading, but did I feel that your issue warranted a deeper inspection or I wouldn't have bothered going through all the steps.

Dennis 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.