Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with coppermine on your laptop  (Read 4188 times)

RS232

• Coppermine novice
Working with coppermine on your laptop
« on: October 05, 2005, 11:05:51 am »

I found this very interestin thread:
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=6190.0

How cool would it be to be able to use coppermine locally on your PC/Laptop to show your pictures?
Of course this requires Apace+PHP+Mysql on your windowsXP machine, but there are many
"ready to go" packages out there fro this.
Let's leave the input/output synchronization feature for the future, but just have an easy function to "export"
the acutal database+pictures from the server installation to a stand-alone installation would be IMO excellent.
And this could also be smart way to backup coppermine.

What do you think?
rs232
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 08:06:28 am by GauGau »

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
Re: Working with coppermine on your laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:11:22 am »

I pretty much do this with my FTP software.

The only other thing I have to do is export my database as an sql file and import it into my laptop/desktop backup setups.

You could also create a flat Html file backup using offline readers (your permissions would have to be set to 777 all the way around while you do this so advisably you would do this from your local setup). It would take forever and day if your website contained a lot of images, but  then you could stick the offline copy onto a DVD or CD depending on the size.

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

RS232

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 11:40:29 am »

Actually the Offline reader idea is nto bad at all, I should try it out!
Are you able to browse the site exactly as you do online?

Thanks
rs232

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 11:56:56 am »

there aren't that many preconfigured apache/php/mysql packages for windows at all. If you don't consider packages that haven't updated for some time then only two are left. EasyPHP and Xampp

Xampp has more whistles and bells, easyphp is setup in no time and working smooth. Sure you can write a synchro tool and actually I've though about that already. Shouldn't be to complex but it's a typical mod/ plugin.

For exporting the db it's better to use external tools. This is (depending on db size) not just done with a few lines of code. In the sticky thread on this board you can find that suggestion  http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

To backup your images (on nix systems) just tar them and download them using ftp. A lil solution you'll find on the mods board

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 10:37:29 pm »

Actually the Offline reader idea is nto bad at all, I should try it out!
Are you able to browse the site exactly as you do online?

Thanks
rs232

Pretty much so,  I had to tweak it a bit .. but it did the job.  I used Webreaper.
But do it off your localserver setup.  It takes way too long doing off of a webhost and your bandwidth use shoots up. 

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:06:14 am »

I agree that this would be nice, but the code needed to sync the online version on your live webpage and the offline version on your local box won't go into coppermine's core code, as only a few users will find it useful. As Dennis suggested, this could be done with a mod/plugin. Marking this thread as "turned down", but don't get disappointed: a contribution of such a mod/plugin would be welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.