Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download An Entire Album?  (Read 9710 times)

clubmed

• Coppermine novice
Download An Entire Album?
« on: October 03, 2005, 11:06:01 am »

My users would like a feature where they can click on a link or button and download an entire album (perhaps as zip).

Does such a feature or mod exist?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 02:12:17 pm by GauGau »

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: Download An Entire Album?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 11:09:13 am »

why not doing a search? Then you'd already read the thread

clubmed

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 11:31:48 am »

Because I was wondering if this pretty logical feature had been integrated into the latest version of coppermine, or whether someone had written a mod for it recently.

Frankly I think it's pretty old fashioned that the dev team still has not implemented such a feature. It's such a common request!

What century are the dev team living in? It sure aint the 21st century :)

Copying image by image and then going to My Downloads is pathetic when you have an album containing 60 images don't you think?

I hope this feature will soon become a part of Copperming Photo Gallery.

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 11:40:11 am »

Users actually can download their favs as zip. If you want to know more about a mod that comes closer to what you need... search as suggested. You'd also know more about the up and downs when you'd done as suggested.
If you want to request a feature you go here http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?board=7.0

clubmed

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:43:43 am »

Users actually can download their favs as zip.

Thank you for the info, but they still cant download an album.

Downloading favs is fine if you want to download about 10 images, but when you want an entire album, then at the moment you would have to select every single photo in the album. Imagine how much work that would require if the album contains 60 photos?

It would be a good idea to be able to select an entire album as a 'favourite' and then download it.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 11:55:38 am »

Because I was wondering if this pretty logical feature had been integrated into the latest version of coppermine, or whether someone had written a mod for it recently.

I believe someone has already written a mod or mods for this.

Frankly I think it's pretty old fashioned that the dev team still has not implemented such a feature. It's such a common request!

Why does everyone with an opinion think it's a common opinion? I just searched the entire forum and came up with but a handful of requests and even as such, all were kind of buggy. If it were that popular a request, I"m sure there would have been more mods or hacks to accomplish this.  Quite frankly, I see more people concerned about people hotlinking or stealing pics from their web than offering mass downloads.  

Honestly,  I wouldn't want it. The load on my server would go up exponentially. People would ownload entire albums just to avoid picking out the ones that they are not interested in and my bandwidth would go over it's limit and my site would be locked out for other users. If just two users were downloading larger albums at the same time, access to my site would start to crawl.  Time out issues would become common place.  

What century are the dev team living in? It sure aint the 21st century :)

What can I say? We're romantics.  With a comment like that, I wouldn't want to code for you. Yeah, I guess you can call me old-fashioned.

Copying image by image and then going to My Downloads is pathetic when you have an album containing 60 images don't you think?

Hmmm.. why not put pre-zipped bundles in your site? Assign a thumbnail?   That's the way we used to do it in Compuserve (20th century technology, alas).  

I hope this feature will soon become a part of Copperming Photo Gallery.

Not me.  But, in all fairness. This is just my opinion.

Good luck,

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 11:56:05 am »

yes, it's nice
feature has been already requested http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=60.0
I don't know much about the php zip module but if you don't have it and go for the zip class you won't have to much fun cause it's dependent on php memory_limit. Then it's using CPU and that not to less. If you're one of the lucky guys who can edit their php.ini and you have your own (huge) box it may work.

search for the mod(s) and read the thread(s) as suggested

If you really need zip downloads ask on the freelancers board. I'm sure there's someone who'll help you. Still I'd go for static zips and not dynamical ones

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 12:02:13 pm »

Why does everyone with an opinion think it's a common opinion?

Just wanted to appologize to "everyone"   .. I meant to say, "Why do some" .

Sorry,

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

clubmed

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 12:11:41 pm »

Points taken, I may have been a little rude, I apologise, hope no offence was taken by Stramm.

I did as you suggested and searched through the forum, I came up with a number of threads, but from what I read, there is a mod which used to be part of an older Coppermine version that is no longer included in the installation package. From what I understand, this mod has been made to work with Coppermine 1.2. I have not been able to find out whether this mod has been fixed to work with Coppermin 1.3.

If someone could point to the official thread, or download area for this mod, I would be most appreciative, I can't seem to find it, yes I too don't appear to be in the 21st century ;)

Thanks.

clubmed

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 12:15:27 pm »

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 12:21:03 pm »

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=3968.msg87633#msg87633

don't install it and don't use it before you haven't read at least page 2 and 3. It's very basic and it will timeout when there are to many pics. It will return crap when it reaches the memory limit. All stuff you should know when you'd searched for 'download album zip'

And don't say it's my fault when dynamical album zipping is bogging down your box cause 3-4 users try it at the same time ;)

clubmed

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »

supergper

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 01:26:36 am »

Still I'd go for static zips and not dynamical ones

the only issue with doing the static route is then you have to have all your album on there twice and if you're using the standard photo formats (.jpg, .gif, etc) then the zip file will not be much smaller (if at all) then the un-zipped album so you would need literally twice the space. 

For the poster :D - a solution would be to have your users use firefox and download and install the down-them-all extension...it will allow the user to choose what photos on a page to download and download all that they want.  Or you could use a script outside of CPG such as cwfm.sf.net to do this.  I use cwfm on my site and it allows my users to download (zipped or not) the files they choose, works very well but you do have to setup each user as it doesn't use a database for storing the users so without re-writing the code it would be a PITA to integrate it so it would share users (I'll have to look into integrating it, that would be kinda nice  8) )

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 08:54:31 am »

when you go the dynamic way and you have 2 guys downloading your already 1gb huge album. Tell me what happens. Tell me about CPU usage and tell me about HD usage. Yes, eats CPU like nuts and you need ~3x your album space. With 4 guys downloading 5x album space
A webmaster on shared hosting wouldn't be to happy at all (despite temp is not on his HD, hahaha). And depending on what else is on the system a full HD can mean an absolute desaster and getting the system up again can be a pain (usually not).

Worst problem is that the system can start swapping. Let the script make a daily zip and you avoid all this problems.

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • http://tariquesani.net
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 10:55:58 am »

An ideal way to do static zips would be add to zip when uploading and delete from zip when deleting - dynamically creating zips will surely kill the server sooner than you can blink for most shared server configurations.

SANIsoft PHP applications for E Biz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.