Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reccomended Max Dimension of a thumbnail  (Read 3523 times)

LMalnati

• Coppermine novice
Reccomended Max Dimension of a thumbnail
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:18:18 am »

Is there a reccomended max dimension of a thumbnail ?  Is 100 or 130 considered to be pretty standard ?

::)

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: Reccomended Max Dimension of a thumbnail
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:25:38 am »

Not really
All depends on what you want to do and how your overall layout is. Most want their thumbs to be max 3-5k others head for 2k. Some like crystal clear thumbs (bigger in size), others love them blured. Guys who go for a small filesize use smaller dimensions (eg. 88x88 or 90x120). If you don't have to much thumbs on your index and you want your users to see something on the thumbs you chose a greater dimension. I've even seen thumbs >140x200 and they only were 6-10k.

LMalnati

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »

If I wanted a crystal clear thumb would 200 in the field "Max Dimension of a Thumbnail" be sufficient ?  What other fields would I need to complete in the config panel ?

POB

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 09:36:24 pm »

If I wanted a crystal clear thumb would 200 in the field "Max Dimension of a Thumbnail" be sufficient ?  What other fields would I need to complete in the config panel ?

POB

Check the Mod/hack board, I believe Stramm has created a better thumbnails mod.  You might want to look into it.

Remember, however, your typical user will not have a properly calibrated monitor.  Some will have LCDs (active/passive), some CRTs all of which will display colors differently.  If your monitor is not calibrated with a metering tool like Colorvision's spyder then what you see might not be what you should be seeing.   In otherwords, what looks good on your monitor might not look as good on the next.   Furthermore, since a thumbnail of 200 is only 40,000 pixels max, 28k average, color range and blend is considerably limited.

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:08:44 pm »

200 is to much for a thumb in my opinion. Just try a few different sizes. Start with 120-140px. I'm using 130x130 and I think it looks good

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 11:18:16 am »

as suggested above, it depends on the number of thumbnails that are being displayed on one page, your overall page layout, target audience and some other factors. There can't be a rule. Post a link to your site and I will readily recommend a thumb size.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.