Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BETA version - a question for you BETA testers.  (Read 4134 times)

toujours

• Coppermine novice
BETA version - a question for you BETA testers.
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:16:18 pm »

Well, I've been running the BETA version as my main gallery for some time now and have no gripes. I must add that I'm running it standalone and not doing anything too fancy.

This isn't a "When will the BETA be ready thread", but more of a poll to find out if BETA testers feel the BETA is ready. As far as I'm concerned, all software is released with bugs, and 100% stomping is just not possible...

By the way, if moderators feel this question is out of line, feel free to delete it...no hard feelings...

So then, my question is :

In your opinion, could the dev team release the current CVS version of CPG 1.4 to the general public as "stable" ?  YES or NO ?

Just a YES or a NO please, no justifications necessary...

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: BETA version - a question for you BETA testers.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 05:26:47 pm »

Have you run this on a production gallery? Once I updated my "official" gallery, I noticed things that I did not when it was just a test gallery. I don't think it's fair to the public to release something with bugs that could be fixed. People would need to upgrade their galleries more than necessary.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 11:06:26 pm »

I started off as a newbie a couple of months ago and decided to test 1.4x.  ( I ran it parallel to a 1.3x setup) Tried a number of mods and hacks (first on 1.3x then on 1.4x). Built a couple of custom themes. And it all looked good .. that is.. until I noticed some bugs.  Since then most of these "bugs" have been fixed, but that has meant redoing much of my mods and hacks with each update.  This equates to a lot of man hours.

In the past two weeks alone, I have had to download and update files over 6 times.  Test and retest.  I take it as a learning experience and enjoy it, but I don't think others will necessarily feel the same way I do.  Some changes are simple, some are not. (eg. I had to manually rename 122 files on my local server yesterday and will have to eventually do it on my webhost server as well.)

So I say, a little more patience is necessary.  With all the updates from CVS, 1.4x is running a whole lot better, the promised features are nearing fruition, and it will be well worth the wait.  [ot] Documentation needs to be reviewed.  :D[/ot]

Dennis

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

toujours

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 05:57:58 am »

Ooops ! It looks like I'm apparently just using the right functions with very few mods.   :-[ :-[ ;D

It's true that I had one upgrade problem which was with the character sets moving to UTF-8, but the rest was fine.

Anyway, I'm happy running my production gallery with the Beta version (I backup now and again, like I did with 1.3.5).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.