Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question to a comment by gaugau  (Read 3290 times)

bluetrain

• Coppermine newbie
question to a comment by gaugau
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:46:17 pm »

"Sidenote: your IIS install is so extremely "out-of-the-box", you're very vulnerable as far as I can see against standard root kits. Change your webroot. Windows XP is not a server operating system, I strongly suggest to review the whole idea of running your own webserver publicly unless you're very, very experienced."

Am I using IIS by default when running server on xp? Is it easy to use standard root kits even if the server use both antivirus
and firewall?

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: question to a comment by gaugau
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:32:06 pm »

software firewall and antivir are far from protecting your system. Why should a serious company spend min 10k for a hardware firewall... and then they have just a lil system? As server operator your system is exposed to the net and therefore far more vulnerable. Kids try just to guess important pathes.. older kids know about most of the weaknesses and can bring your 'out of the box system' down in a few

Just 2-3 days ago I received an email cause of a not working system... it was a nice 'hacker'. I made a sreenshot....
I do not have a clue about the language but I can understand the db name ;)

(http://stramm.mine.nu/stuff/haxored1.gif)

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: question to a comment by gaugau
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:41:52 pm »

Don't run your own webserver if you have no experience.  Test boxes are fine for development, but pay for good webhosting for production sites.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.