Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiting ratings to just 1 rating?  (Read 4508 times)

JakobG

• Coppermine newbie
Limiting ratings to just 1 rating?
« on: September 14, 2005, 05:17:10 pm »

Hi all, I've done a search and couldn't find anything suited to what I want, only a thread on changing the ratings system to 1-6 or 1-10 etc, but in my case I would like to, and wonder if it is possible to explain to me how to (not a great coder here) reduce the number of available ratings. Instead of being able to choose from 1-5, would it be possible to just have a single vote, so that if you like the picture you vote for it, if you don't like it you don't bother voting.

The reason I ask is that I would like to run a competition site and am not entirely sure that the top rated system will work properly unless all voting members vote on every picture, and perhaps not everyone will want to do that. Instead I'd like to make it simple, as I said above so that if people like i shot they can vote for it, or otherwise simply leave it be.

Alternatively, can someone explain a bit how the current rating system works? If for example 19 ppl rated a photo 5/5 and 1 person voted a 1, and another photo got 10votes of 5/5 with no other votes, which would go top?

Thanks in advance all,
Jakob

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Limiting ratings to just 1 rating?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:20:04 pm »

OK,

well to do what you ask is easy, just by looking at the threads you mentioned which tell how to add extra voting, just remove all but the 1 star voting bit.  Remove the zero one as well.  You can then change your lang file, so it just shows the number of votes, not the rating.

In your question, the one with 5 x 5 stars would be placed top in the existing system, which does not lend itself to competitions IMHO, as the senario you give would be clearly unfair, and is one I have used before to explain the system.

I have changed the code on one site I admin to give a total stars awarded result, with stars users able to give between 1 and 10 stars.  But that involves quite a few changes, and I don't have them to hand at the moment.  I will try and sort it out later for you.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

JakobG

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:26:03 am »

Casper that would actually be IDEAL if you could spare the time to let me know how it's done (arranging by number of stars given), and look forward eagerly to your explanation! :)

yellow_wizard

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:58:24 pm »

Hi where can I find the 1-10 coding as presently mine only shows the 1-5 voting structure...

Thanks
Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.