Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: coming from menalto what I miss is...  (Read 5623 times)

eke

• Coppermine novice
coming from menalto what I miss is...
« on: December 03, 2003, 12:07:40 pm »

* having subalbums inside albums
e.g. 4 weeks in greece holiday 1 album: inside i have thematical albums: week #1-2 The North, week #3-4 The South
I have found no way to create subalbums with coppermine.

* the "permissions" from menalto with the possibility to set "album owner" and various permissions per album or category.
here: The album manager of cm seems to do nothing but rename and order albums, no way to set permissions per album? The "user groups" just allow for general permissions on all categories/albums. insufficient imho.

* image upload: gallery remote (java) really is a nifty tool... I wish coppermine had something like that (I am not using win XP..).

* images: rotate, crop. these have been in menalto for a long time and I think these should be standard features in any gallery script (planned for 1.3 are they?)

* template: i would not call cm templates flexible. the main issue here is to mix form with logic. In order to achieve maximum flexibility you MUST strictly separate form from logic. e.g. Look at the smarty templating system.
the cm template would be truly flexible if it would be possible to include {ALB_DESC} at any place inside a template and have it rendered or {intermediate_view} for that matter (see my other post with samle template)
This is basically the greatest weakness of coppermine imho: the non xhtml compliant, inflexible templating. Nothing that cannot be remedied though ;)

I am sure the devs look at other gallery scripts too from time to time and rightly so. coppermine is one of the better ones I tested so far (i started with MIG years ago) and ended up with menalto gallery 1.0. Just recently I found out about coppermine and gave it a whirl.
Apart from any feature/administrative shortcomings there may be, coppermine really needs a better templating system as far as I am concerned.

Mantra: separate form from logic.

otherwise, kudos to a solid piece of work!
Ihad.

rbl

• Contributor
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • http://lomoblog.com/
Re: coming from menalto what I miss is...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 09:41:51 pm »

Quote from: "eke"
1 * having subalbums inside albums
e.g. 4 weeks in greece holiday 1 album: inside i have thematical albums: week #1-2 The North, week #3-4 The South
I have found no way to create subalbums with coppermine.

2 * image upload: gallery remote (java) really is a nifty tool... I wish coppermine had something like that (I am not using win XP..).

3 * images: rotate, crop. these have been in menalto for a long time and I think these should be standard features in any gallery script (planned for 1.3 are they?)

4 * template: i would not call cm templates flexible. the main issue here is to mix form with logic. In order to achieve maximum flexibility you MUST strictly separate form from logic. e.g. Look at the smarty templating system.
the cm template would be truly flexible if it would be possible to include {ALB_DESC} at any place inside a template and have it rendered or {intermediate_view} for that matter (see my other post with samle template)

1 - I do this with categories but I'm on a single user installation. Have you tried that?

2 - I believe there are instructions on how to use gallery remote with CPG, because I recall reading something about this some time ago, but after searching both boards, couldn't find anything.

3 - From what I remeber, this and other nifty tools are already on the cvs version.

4 - No argue here. Although template.html should be the primary place to edit templates, I opened mine once some months ago and find myself coding php files ever since.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
coming from menalto what I miss is...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 08:32:54 am »

gallery remote: you might want to take a look at http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/oldboard/viewtopic.php?t=2455
and
http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/oldboard/viewtopic.php?t=2380
Although a remote is not in the cvs yet afaik.

GauGau

eke

• Coppermine novice
Re: coming from menalto what I miss is...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 10:51:23 am »

Quote from: "rbl"

1 - I do this with categories but I'm on a single user installation. Have you tried that?

2 - I believe there are instructions on how to use gallery remote with CPG, because I recall reading something about this some time ago, but after searching both boards, couldn't find anything.

3 - From what I remeber, this and other nifty tools are already on the cvs version.

4 - No argue here. Although template.html should be the primary place to edit templates, I opened mine once some months ago and find myself coding php files ever since.

1: well it's not possible to upload images to categories which is what I need...
category: TRAVEL / subcategory Egypt / Album "Nile Cruise 2001" / subalbum Assuan / subalbum valley of kings / queens / ...etc.

root album "Nile Cruise 2001" can have any and all "loose" ends pictures, thematical pictures go into the subalbums.
What is more, if I wanted to view the whole "Nile Cruise" as one big slideshow I could just do that, you can't start slideshows on categories...

see my point?

2 - hmmm haven't found anything on this. will look harder (and no, win xp is not an option).

3 - yes, can hardly wait.

4 - what can I say. the biggest issue I have with coppermine really... and one that direly needs remedy imho.

cheers
eke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.