Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permissions  (Read 4893 times)

RockCitySaint

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://www.jacksriver.net
Permissions
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:41:04 pm »

I think there should be more permission options...

For example: I want a certain group of users to be able to create public galleries just like the administrator can.

If there's a quick fix to this so I dont have to wait for the next version, lemme know.

Thanks,
RCS

RockCitySaint

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Permissions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 08:45:37 pm »

Oh you're gonna move the topic, and tell me to search the forums cuz this had already been dealt with....

But it's stupid, I cant find a solution by searching the forums, just a bunch of people who want the same thing, is there a mod for this? If not, why not? It cant be that hard to do, just give in and let these people set up their forums the way they want.

Kinda sorry, but not,
RCS
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 08:52:55 pm by RockCitySaint »

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:07:13 pm »

There is no mod because no one has made one, simple as that. It is already being considered for a future version. Either wait for that version to be released, learn PHP, or hire someone to do it for you.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:57:04 pm »

But it's stupid, I cant find a solution by searching the forums, just a bunch of people who want the same thing, is there a mod for this? If not, why not? It cant be that hard to do, just give in and let these people set up their forums the way they want.

Kinda sorry, but not,
RCS

Like you, I'm just a user here. I search the boards, I ask for help, and if it's available I get it or find it. But having read literally thousands of posts and replies, I've come to really appreciate what all the devs and contributors do here and I find it quite disconcerting when users, like I am, feel it necessary to be rude when asking for support.   

What we have here is a free product with unlimited free support provided by unpaid volunteers.  As such, we should be more appreciative than unappreciative of all their efforts.  I think we do a great injustice to all the users of coppermine when we are abusive or rude to the contributors and devs of coppermine.

Negative comments often have cummulative effect. What would happen if they finally say, "Hey, enough!" and decide to quit? Where would we all be then?  I think we owe it to them to show our appreciation not our fustrations. 

As to allowing users to set up their "forums" the way they want. ( I believe you meant "gallery" as "forums" would be under some other opensource project) Isn't that what we are all trying to do here? -- and why there are hundreds of mods and themes and over 20,000 posts? Try getting support on a commericially available package for a modification that's not already part of their package and you'll probably receive notice that modifying your package in such a manner will invalidate your service/support and licensing agreement.  So, really, what more can we ask for?

I say this because I can relate to what these devs and contributors go through.  I was once an unpaid sysop/moderator on 6 forums in Compuserve during its prime. I answered 150 emails and 200+ posts a day.  The wear and tear of rude comments and guests really took the joy out of it and I ultimately left it all behind, leaving the burden of 350 questions daily to be answered by someone else.

I believe that good manners beget good manners,

Dennis - just a user

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

RockCitySaint

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 05:55:43 am »

Spare me the lecture...

I love coppermine, don't get me wrong, but people keep asking for this feature and they get snubbed by being told "there's a million topics already, do a search!"

And that doesn't help anyone because why are you gonna tell people to do a search when THERE IS NO SOLUTION YET?!

All you have to do is post the url to the original thread where it says there is no solution and people's time wouldn't be wasted.

I know I sound rude, I'm a site administrator with a million things going wrong. Today was a pretty bad day. But I do appreciate all the work these guys are doing, and if I can ever get my company off the ground, I'll make a donation.

ahhh, to dream.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 06:10:44 am »

Well, the people saying to do a search would have to do the search to provide the URL. They can't remember all the URLs off the top of their heads. Do you think they should be your search provider? How does it help anyone to take up time searching thousands of questions when the user could have searched for the answer him/herself? Is it okay to waste our time looking up the URL to give to you? Why should we? What have you done for us?

RockCitySaint

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 06:45:21 am »

Thats a valid point, but forget posting the link, all you'd have to do is say there isn't a solution, seems like a pretty easy job to me... hey how about this, I'll handle that for you, I'll search for all the topics regarding this issue and I'll post replies.

Best regards,
Butros Butros... Butros Ghali

RockCitySaint

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 06:55:51 am »

Oh nevermind, Ive decided agaisnt that... cuz then all the old topics would go to the top and that'd be kind of annoying... and also, I'm lazy...

Keep up the good work, I concede to defeat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.