Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: preventing people from stealing my images  (Read 5039 times)

dssgavoodoo

• Coppermine newbie
preventing people from stealing my images
« on: August 30, 2005, 11:24:39 pm »

*My apologies if this has been answered before. I looked through the search results and FAQ and could not find what I was looking for*

Hello!

I have inserted the following code into my template.html to prevent people from using right click>save as and from the image toolbar in win xp sp2 from being displayed:

Code: [Select]
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">
<head>

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
<!--
var message="stop trying to fucking steal jays pictures...thanks for visiting though";
function click(e) {
if (document.all) {
if (event.button==2||event.button==3) {
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
if (document.layers) {
if (e.which == 3) {
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}
if (document.layers) {
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
}
document.onmousedown=click;
// -->
</SCRIPT>

</head>

My question, however, is how I can do the same thing for the full-size image. I believe that is written in php, a language I am not familiar with. I am using the Reynolds theme from this site if that helps any.

Furthermore, is it possible to prevent people from using alt+a and them crtl+c and pasting it into Photoshop? I know this is not much different from using a screenshot utility (which the average user does not know about, but I can live with those who do) but I would like to try and prevent this if I can; everyone knows how to copy and paste.

Would I be better off disabling full-size images altogether (the code works on small and medium size image pages)? If so, what is the easiest way to do that?

Thanks.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: preventing people from stealing my images
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 02:14:55 am »

Once an image is displayed in a browser, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent someone from keeping it.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Disable right click?  Fine, I turn off javascript and right click to my heart's content.  Or how about I look thru my browser's cache and get the image that way.  Javascript tricks are completely worthless and a waste of your time to add to your webpages.  You can prevent people from hotlinking to your images, which stops people from stealing your bandwidth.  There are plenty of examples of this - Google for "image hotlink".

If you don't want people to have your images, don't put them on the internet.  If you apply a watermark (either prior to upload, or by applying one of the many watermark mods to Coppermine) then at least the image will be easily spotted if uploaded on someone else's website.

If you want to disable full size popups, then either use the admin tools and resize your images and discard the full size versions (covered in the documentation and in many posts on our forum) or resize images prior to uploading.  Intermediate size settings are also covered in the documentation.  No real reason to do that IMO, you'll just get emails from your friends and family asking why the images are so small when they used to be full size.

Oh, and there are also many, many posts that deal with right click disabling.  It's just a matter of searching the correct way.  How to search.  It takes a while to figure out how best to search and find related topics, but you'll get the hang of it.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

dssgavoodoo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 05:03:09 pm »

Yes I am very aware that a determined user can get any image from any website they visit, however the people who use my site are neither determined nor versed in how to get around these simple countermeasures. Nevertheless, can anyone tell me where the code for the full-sized image popup window is located and how I can edit it to prevent right-clicking and image toolbar usage?

Thanks.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 08:42:32 pm »

displayimage.php
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.