Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allow guests to see only a few images, then they have to login  (Read 4260 times)

goingon

• Coppermine newbie

Hi there,

I'd like to be able to allow guests to view a few full images (whole pictures when clicking on the thumbnail) then tell them they have to register to see any more.

I know the option is there just to let guests view the thumbnails but was wondering if the above is possible.

Thanks in advance.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Allow guests to see only a few images, then they have to login
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:12:39 am »

At first glance this would look like an easy mod, but in order to be truly effective a new table would need to be made, and a user's ip address would have to be recorded when an image is looked at.  The table would have to be queried with the user's IP address and the total entries would have to be counted - if the total is more than the allowed number, no more images.  Still not completely effective as IP addresses tend to be dynamically assigned.  Using cookies is even easier to spoof - delete the cookie and continue viewing images.

I think an easier way would be to only allow unregistered visitors access to an album with a limited number of images.  View as many times as you like, but they can only see the sample images.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

goingon

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Allow guests to see only a few images, then they have to login
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:15:27 pm »

That's a good idea, I will go ahead and implement that.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.