Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strategy for deciding on image resolutions & quality level  (Read 4355 times)

cunparis

• Coppermine newbie
Strategy for deciding on image resolutions & quality level
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:40:13 pm »

I'm working on setting up my site and I'm debating on what resolutions to use for my images.  My current plan is to upload my images at 1024 max size (height or width) at JPEG quality 8/12 (using Adobe Photoshop CS2), and setting the intermediate size to 700.  The 700 is so that people with 1024x768 monitors can view the photos on their screen.. if the photo is in portrait orientation, the 700 height will fit into the 768 (barely, or maybe not due to the browser).  Anyone with a bigger screen can click on the image if they want to see it bigger.

My second idea is to disable the intermediate image, and upload at max 700 size in the first place so that everyone views the images at this size.  This would save a lot of space, although currently I have 1gig of space available so this really isn't a problem.

Finally, I'm still debating on the JPEG quality level.  I like 8/12 because I can't see a difference between 8 & 12, and I want to use a high quality so that the resize to intermediate size done by GD will be of high quality.

I'm curious what other people think about this and how you're doing it.  I want to decide before I start creating all my images and uploading them.  Also if anyone has any good pointers on a CS2 batch for stamping my name on my photos please let me know.  I gotta figure that out too.  I'm using Adobe Camera RAW's Photo Processor to resize and it can run a batch on each image in the process.  I love Adobe Camera Raw!

-michael

steverobbins

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
  • photographer
    • Steve Robbins' Personal Website
Re: Strategy for deciding on image resolutions & quality level
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:58:24 pm »

Hi Michael,

I chose an arbitary size of 700 pixels for the longest side of a picture for similar reasons to you.... most people use 1024 x 768 or more, so 700 fits just nice.  There are other benefits of course, 700 has enough details for people to see and appreciate your photo and not enough detail for someone to print it out and make other unwelcome uses of it.

I use Photoshop CS2, and make use of the Save For Web function, and choose Jpeg Medium setting which I believe is much lower quality than 8 out of 12 you talked about.  I think visitors can tell the difference between jpeg compression 'noise' and a bad photograph.  I tend to err on the lower setting to reduce the useability of my photographs for others.  If someone wants to use my photograph for another use, then they can email and request it.

Have a browse, they are all about 700 pixels and jpeg medium.   www.steverobbins.co.uk/gallery

Cheers,
Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.