Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generate intermediate images on the fly  (Read 3645 times)

cunparis

• Coppermine newbie
Generate intermediate images on the fly
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:30:04 pm »

When I selected not to create intermediate images, I expected them to be created on the fly.  Instead, Coppermine displayed the originals.  I was thinking that with GD they could be easily created on the fly.  This would allow uploading a single file which would reduce storage (at the expense of CPU).  I know this is debatable but it'd be nice to have the choice.  For some, CPU is more available than disk space.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Generate intermediate images on the fly
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:14:14 pm »

Unlike space issues, resource hogging would give Coppermine a bad reputation. On-the-fly image generation is fine to do as a mod or plug-in in future versions starting with 1.4, but shouldn't be implemented in the core code. Maybe when CPU power is at a point where this is not an issue, this could be reconsidered.

cunparis

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Generate intermediate images on the fly
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 10:23:10 am »

Unlike space issues, resource hogging would give Coppermine a bad reputation. On-the-fly image generation is fine to do as a mod or plug-in in future versions starting with 1.4, but shouldn't be implemented in the core code. Maybe when CPU power is at a point where this is not an issue, this could be reconsidered.

I feel if the user has a choice and the default is to create intermediate files, then Coppermine could not have a bad reputation.   This was more of an idea to support my other feature request to allow the user to select their viewing size (small, med, large).  But of course those three sizes could be created in advance for each image.  Or like many users, small & medium could be the same so really you only support med & large.  This results in just one extra file to create really..

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.