Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can we put our images into categories not just the album?  (Read 4471 times)

terryjianlin

• Coppermine newbie
    • Picture tour on Fu Jian province ,China
can we put our images into categories not just the album?
« on: December 02, 2003, 08:55:52 am »

thanks for taking look at my post. :P
guess I am not a newbie to coppermine no more, I already spended quite
some time with it, love it :P
But the problem is , I am going to build a website which have to sort  the images by regional, something like  country->state->county->town etc..
somehow I can't figure out how to do it with coppermine, or maybe there
is a way but I could't discovered it so far . if it does, please let me know!
So, here is my question, why can we make the Categories as Album, the
category will content the images it self, not olny the Album, like the way
4images does, is that make things a little easier? Ok, don't tell me to switch to 4Images, in fact, I am working with both of them.  It's really hard to tell which one is better,  both of them are good stuff on the web.  But I still think  there are something the should learn form eachother.  It will be great that someday these two online Album will become one, just one! that will make it much more stronger!!!!!!!!!!! :P
without you, I will be totally nothing!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
can we put our images into categories not just the album?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 10:21:36 am »

having a gallery structure like "country->state->county->town" would mean 4 levels deep. Currently, you can only have 3 levels in Coppermine: "category->subcategory->album".
I don't know 4images in detail - of course there are a lot of people using it, and it seems to be a good piece of software. You'll have to compare the features of Coppermine with those of 4images and decide for yourself which features are "must-have" and then decide for a gallery.

Your remarks on a "merge" of Coppermine and 4images show an understandable "user's point of view"; you want features of both galleries - I understand that. From a developers/programmers point of view this is of course impossible: each software has some kind of structure (how stuff works behind the scenes), both ways have their advantages and disadvantages (in other words: some features are easy to implement with one structure and difficult/impossible with the other). You can't just have the best of both softwares by throwing the code on a big heap and sort out what suits your needs best. There have been software projects in the past that tried to build "the best software for XYZ, with all features one could think of" - and all failed. The reason for this is either:
a) the code becomes too complicated to manage (see menalto gallery)
b) the performance of the application becomes bad (because of large consumption of ressources).

As you seem to know both softwares, why don't you write a feature comparison article (see http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=547 )?

As you posted on the cpg1.1 support board I guess you're running this older version of Coppermine - why don't you upgrade to the most recent version of Coppermine and see if it has more features that you need?

GauGau

P.S. Using the Razz (sticky tongue :P ) smiley in your postings may be interpreted wrongly, I recommend not using it the way you do!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.