Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with search engine robot  (Read 4036 times)

real_kastor

• Coppermine newbie
Problem with search engine robot
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:13:39 pm »

Hi,

I'm using coppermine now for nearly two years and I'm very happy with it. But since 2 weeks I have a problem. The university of Leipzig is developing a online thesaurus, and therefore the use a bot named "findlinks" (http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de/findlinks/).
It seems that the new revision (Useragent: findlinks/0.945 (+http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de/findlinks/)) of the bot can "vote" for pictures. I'm logging the IP's of the voters, and I get only votes from the adress range which belongs to the University of Leipzig, and my Webalizer statistic shows me that visits from findlinks happens quite often and to the times I get votes.
I've got a robots.txt which restricts access to the galery only to non robots, but this does not stop findlinks (by the way, goolgebot obeys the rules of the file). For now, I'm using a .htaccess which stops phantom-votes from findlinks, but in the near future I will move with the complete homepage to a free php/mysql hoster, but this one does not support .htaccess files for security reasons.
Is there a possibility to get a coppermine-wide useragent filter/blocker?

Greetings from Germany,

Kastor

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Problem with search engine robot
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 02:09:15 am »

change the voting links from html links to javascript links or a form and some javascript. Bots usually don't execute forms. Afaik there's a mod posted somewhere.

However, you're requesting support, so you shouldn't have posted on the board named "General discussion (no support!)". Please post a link to your site - a moderator will move your posting accordingly.

I also suggest you complain at the findlinks page - tell them their bot should respect robots.txt!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.