Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A gallery dilemma  (Read 5506 times)

marian

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • BYM Photo Gallery
A gallery dilemma
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:43:46 pm »

Our gallery is getting - http://www.bymnews.com/photos/index.php - is getting pretty popular. Yesterday, according to the server logs, we had over 2000 picture views (the coppermine count always reads low) and a lot of this is because both the Google and ImagesGoogle spiders are in the gallery a lot more than they used to be.
The upside is the increased viewing (lots of top ten places), the downside is that they often give URLS from Most Viewed and Latest Images and, as we add an average of 40 pix per day, the latter URLS changed constantly.
I understand there will be a way of fixing this in 1.4, in the meantime GauGau had suggested stopping spiders following the Latest and Most links. I have certain reservations about stopping a spider doing anything and, in any case, some people do manage to figure out that they can search for the pic they really wanted. So I've been wondering just how stable 1.4 beta is?
What would you do:
Stop the spiders following those links;
Upgrade to 1.4;
Leave well alone?
By the way GauGau, I know we've had our contretemps in the past, but I really do owe you a big thank you. The gallery had really boosted viewing figures, both directly and by leading people to other parts of the site.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 09:42:39 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: A gallery dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 03:43:34 pm »

Imo it's pretty safe to use cpg1.4.1 already, as long as you keep in mind all caveats: backup before upgrading, don't request support while it's in beta stage and make sure to update frequently from the cvs to get all the latest fixes. Don't sue me though if something goes wrong, it's just my opinion that cpg1.4.1 is stable enough for experienced coppermine users.
Another option is to backport the absolute links for meta albums from cpg1.4.x to cpg1.3.3, if you're skilled enough (no, the dev team members probably won't do this). Another thing to keep in mind: there's no "true" cpg1.4.x french language file yet, you'll have to live with the language fallback and some english parts shining through (or you have to create a french language file).

Joachim

marian

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • BYM Photo Gallery
Re: A gallery dilemma
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 05:52:43 pm »

Imo it's pretty safe to use cpg1.4.1 already, as long as you keep in mind all caveats: backup before upgrading, don't request support while it's in beta stage and make sure to update frequently from the cvs to get all the latest fixes. Don't sue me though if something goes wrong, it's just my opinion that cpg1.4.1 is stable enough for experienced coppermine users.
Another option is to backport the absolute links for meta albums from cpg1.4.x to cpg1.3.3, if you're skilled enough (no, the dev team members probably won't do this). Another thing to keep in mind: there's no "true" cpg1.4.x french language file yet, you'll have to live with the language fallback and some english parts shining through (or you have to create a french language file).

Joachim
Thanks, I guess I'll probably take the 1.4 plunge. Language isn't a prob, I'm English, just happen to prefer living in France;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.