Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about banning people?  (Read 4269 times)

glycerine

• Coppermine novice
question about banning people?
« on: July 31, 2005, 04:28:22 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I really hope I'm not posting this in the wrong forum, this seemed like the right one... I use coppermine gallery for my site, but I have NO idea what version it is, as my server globat installed it for me, it's naming it the "globat gallery installer", but it's coppermine none the less I think, well I'm pretty sure since I used some coppermine themes and stuff. My problem is that I can not ban people from the gallery. I have no idea how to get their IP. I have it set to registered users only, so I get mails with this user has registered in your gallery, blablabla. But I never seen an IP, and I don't see IP's when I look in the users "edit" file.  Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing or what I should add and where in the files? I also don't see an option of use IP or not in the configuration.     Thanks to anyone who can help me! :)

Oh and I tried unstalling it and installing the coppermine version before I set the whole thing up, but it kept coming out as the globat site version so I've no idea... 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 07:19:50 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: question about banning people?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 07:15:57 pm »

It is indeed Coppermine (1.3.2). The footer is missing and likely removed by globat. If you tried to install the official version from this site, did you delete the files on the server? Maybe the existing ones weren't being overwritten?

glycerine

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 07:28:24 pm »

Hi, thank you :) Yes, I uninstalled it and installed it under a different name, but it was either the same or couldn't work, I can't remember :(  Is there any way that I can insert a code so I can see the IP from the members who sign up? I have no idea if that's not working in the official coppermine version or just the globat one :(

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 10:36:16 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about IP banning - in most cases, it just doesn't make sense, as nearly all visitors of your site will have IP addresses dynamically assigned to them by their ISP each time they connect to the internet. This IP address will only be theirs for as long as their browser session lasts, next time they re-visit your page, they will have a different IP address, so the ban will not be taken into account, and another (innocent) visitor who gets assigned the banned IP address from his ISP will be banned from your site for no reason.

Joachim

P.S. We have a no-support policy for people who have removed the "Powered by Coppermine" tag. Even though it wasn't you who removed it (but globat), the policy is still in place. If you need further support, get rid of the globat coppermine version and overwrite the crippled globat files with the original coppermine files from the package that can be obtained from our download section. And while you're at it: complain at globat, tell them that their version sucks, they're intelectual thieves who don't give credit where credit is due. In the past, there have been other issues with the globat version that has functional drawbacks as well

glycerine

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:57:53 pm »

^ hi, thank you for your answer :)   I had a friend of mine try it out with just the user name and that worked :)

Btw, I'd love to give credit to coppermine and have their url on the bottom! I tried that before but it didn't work. Is there a way I can add that link in without having to rebuild my whole gallery again? I already tried to override that in the beginning, but it stayed the same. If there is any way I can add a link into one of the styles or something I'd really be happy to do it because I want people to know that it's coppermine because I really like it!  I just assumed globat had purchased some rights to use on their site or something :(

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 11:21:41 pm »

If you install the official version, you won't have to worry about reinstating the footer or dealing with issues caused by globat's customization of the code. If you can't reinstall: http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php#customHeader

Nope, globat company is an intellectual thief; it did not and could not purchase rights to Coppermine due to the license.

glycerine

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 11:36:43 pm »

If you install the official version, you won't have to worry about reinstating the footer or dealing with issues caused by globat's customization of the code. If you can't reinstall: http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php#customHeader

Nope, globat company is an intellectual thief; it did not and could not purchase rights to Coppermine due to the license.

I tried to install the official version before, and I always ended up with the globat one. I tried overwriting it, under a different folder name, everything. But I'll try again. I also checked out that link but I'm really no good at it, is there someone who could pm me a specific code for the footer to get the link to coppermine?  Like step by step? That would be lovely, I feel really bad now, but I just don't know how to fix it :(
I'll try to install the official version again as well.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 07:10:02 am »

as a workaround, edit themes/yourtheme/template.html, find
Code: [Select]
{GALLERY}and add after it
Code: [Select]
<div class="footer" align="center" style="padding-top: 10px;">Powered by <a href="http://coppermine.sf.net/" target="_blank">Coppermine Photo Gallery</a></div>, although I find it hard to believe that you can't install a true standalone coppermine gallery.

glycerine

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 10:25:23 am »

I don't know why it didn't work, I'm sorry. I'm not very familiar with php and coding things and stuff. Anyways, I added that last bit in, thank you! Now there's a link to coppermine :)  Sorry to have bothered everyone with my questions, I really didn't know that my gallery was wrong because it's provided by globat :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.