Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use coppermine or gallery?  (Read 12430 times)

MikeLewis

• Coppermine newbie
Use coppermine or gallery?
« on: July 18, 2005, 12:10:53 am »

I'm running apache w/ php on a windows 2003 server machine.  All of my photos are already on the same hard drive.  Does someone know whether either gallery or coppermine would be good for the following setup:

I'd like to point my gallery to use the full-size images in these folders (probably to index and thumbnail all & I'd hide the ones I don't want to make public).  I'd permission at least my account to have access to the entire set of full-size photos.  This way, on my local network, I can use the gallery as a database of my images through which I could find and access them all.  Other users would see mid-sized images and wouldn't see every photo I've ever taken.

My other dilemma is the question between organizing my galleries by date or by category.  If gallery or coppermine now has good searching or sorting by date, then I'm probably comfortable organizing by category.

As some background, I right now use Gallery and it's on a web host's server ( http://mikelewis.us/photos ).  I'm looking forward to *not* running out of space and *not* experiencing large upload times after I move to the new server at my house.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions of Gallery vs. Coppermine or any other solution, and how to make it fit these needs somehow..  Thanks :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Use coppermine or gallery?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:11:37 am »

This thread has been split from Write a feature comparision review for Picture Galleries.

We don't know if Menalto Gallery can do what you're up to, but I think coppermine could be used for it as well. It's very easy to set coppermine to display the full-size images only if the admin user is logged in (one line of code needs changing - just adding an if-switch in front of it). Coppermine has search capabilities that have been improved a lot in cpg1.4.1 (beta stage though).  I'm not sure what to suggest though, as I can't see the actual question.

MikeLewis

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 05:43:45 pm »

Gaugau, thank you very much for moving the topic and for your reply.

The more essential question I have is this -- with Coppermine, is there a way to just point it to a folder and have it index the images in that folder and subfolders, creating galleries that mirror that folder structure?

And for Coppermine to display those images without copying or moving them elsewhere (while also creating thumbnails and resized copies)?

Thanks!  (If so, I'd love to to do this with my 30,000 digital photos :) )

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 06:03:50 pm »

There is a mod that does exactly that - check out the mods board.

MikeLewis

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 06:15:25 pm »

Thx nibbler

sad_story

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 11:21:50 pm »

There is a mod that does exactly that - check out the mods board.

can u post that link, I cannot seem to find that mod

Nibbler

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.