Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protecting images or paths when using the D/L fullsize image with a link mod...  (Read 4292 times)

HanOverFist

• Coppermine newbie

Would it be possible to protect the path or the images?
My current set-up doesn't require this (intranet based) but I could see the need to protect the path and or images.
My reason for using the mod is so that an unsuspecting user doen't click the intermediate image and initiate a 8 or 10 meg D/L that they didn't realize was about to happen.
If it isn't possible then maybe a better way to d/l large images could be implemented.
I've watched almost every user who waited for the image to open up (without the mod) mouse click on the image and it just disappears!
They turn around and say "what happened?"
I have to tell them that if you left click the image window it closes!
I know that it says it, but it's just not intuitive the way it exists now.
10 out of 10 times they left click on the final image window on their first visit to the gallery.
That wis the 2nd reason I use the mod.

Jay

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

not sure what your actual request is suppossed to be. You're free to remove the "click on fullsize closes the pop-up window" feature. Is this actually suppossed to be a feature request?

HanOverFist

• Coppermine newbie

The request would be to have a protected path for the images if you use a text link to dl the image directly.
In fact now that I think about it it would be cool to be able to specify the size of the image and let IM create the target size.
Say I've got a source image thats 4000x3000 pixels, IM creates the thumb (80X60) and intermediate (400x300) images when I upload.
If you apply this priciple in reverse my user that needs that image at 1600x1200,  would be able to get the image at the size they need if you could pass that info to IM and generate the custom size on the dl.

did that make sense?

;D

Jay

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

yes, now I understand. In fact, this has been requested before: you'd have to store the full-size pic outside the webroot and have a script fetch it for authorized users. Not that easy to accomplish though (Coppermine doesn't move files around), and would reult in a huge server load. Will be considered for future versions, for details, look up the other postings on the feature requests board that request the very same thing, some of them have a more detailed answer.

HanOverFist

• Coppermine newbie

Thanks for the info.
It seemed like a logical extension of IM usage.
(if you can use it on the upload why not the download?)
I'm glad you were able to understand.

Jay

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website

You can't use an img (or any other) tag if the directory is protected or outside of the document root.  Serving those files requires using other methods, so that means reworking a lot of files, not just one.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

HanOverFist

• Coppermine newbie

I realize that, but it solves some of the file protection issues that now affect CPG.
And a dynamic resize option is just a really cool feature.
Isn't this the place to wish for those types of features.
Think of how many resources had to be changed to implement the plug-in architecture.

jay

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Isn't this the place to wish for those types of features.
It is, that's why I said:
Will be considered for future versions
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.