Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ecard as category with midi/music as option  (Read 11500 times)

aprilla

• Coppermine newbie
Ecard as category with midi/music as option
« on: July 17, 2005, 01:51:25 pm »

1.3.3 out of the box :)

I'm playing with making a category specifically for Greeting Cards and would like to offer a choice of music to be added, probably a dropdown list of midi files. Is there any way to do this in Coppermine?

If it's possible to modify the script per category or even per album then various types of music could be offered depending on the type of card....
Another thought was to use flash but I don't want to restrict the choice of music to what *I* decide, if any. That would mean flash would have to add the music from an option and I don't think I could manage that, even if Coppermine could!

I did search but didn't come across anything, can anyone help? Thanks :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Ecard as category with midi/music as option
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:34:51 am »

afaik there's no mod to specify only one album to have ecards enabled and for all other album disabled, you'd have to manually add an if/then switch to accomplish this. Music files can't be sent as ecards, nor can flash files be sent. However, there's a mod named "music for your site" or so that can let you have music (please search the mods/hacks board). I wouldn't recommend midi music on the site though, would make me leave instantly (only a matter of personal taste though, not an actual support reply).

aprilla

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 01:00:10 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean about music but different sites have different aims and viewers. I'm not intending forced background music, just the option of adding music to greeting cards, which I think is nice :)

In my 'grand plan' all albums will have ecards enabled but 1 category will be specifically for greeting cards (just images with greetings on)... Birthday card album, Christmas card album etc etc. I don't know about coding but I kindof thought that perhaps this category would have an ID and so when choosing to send an ecard from any album in this category ID, the form could include the midi options and send with the card... but other categories would not offer the midi option, just send as normal. (new thought, all could offer midi option if was the only way)

I spent some time investigating the various ecard/postcard options and prefer not to use any found so far so will stick with the original Coppermine Category plan - maybe someday I'll be able to add a Happy Birthday / Jingle Bells midi option to a card!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 08:52:28 am »

If it's OK for you that the midi file will not be sent along with the ecard email, but is loaded from the server when the ecard is being viewed, you could modify the ecards html template. Drawback: embedded music will increase your spam probability a lot, and not every user will be hearing the music. Those who read their email offline won't hear the music no matter what. The ecards html template can be found in themes/yourtheme/theme.php, find
Code: [Select]
// HTML template for e-cardsand edit the stuff below accordingly. However, I strongly advice not do do what you're up to - ecards with embedded music are a bit "out of fashion" imo.

aprilla

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 12:09:03 pm »

Thanks again, though I can see what you are getting at I don't really want to inflict music on the site viewers, just the option of sending with an ecard, and only ecards from a particular category....

I'm just going to let the idea float around at the back of my mind till I get the rest of the site sorted, then I might address it again if it really does seem like a good idea (I think it will).

antisa33

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • Free french kids coloring
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 04:47:03 pm »

Hello aprilla
I would like to add the music midi option on ecards (when a user send an ecard, he could choose between midi files in a dropdown menu), did you do it ?
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.