Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixed Albums Users/Non-Users Viewable Photos  (Read 9546 times)

Dezdan

• Coppermine newbie
Mixed Albums Users/Non-Users Viewable Photos
« on: July 17, 2005, 01:12:51 am »

Background: I post albums of trips I have recently been on with friends, and a mix of the photos are somewhat private whereas others are for general - whoever runs across my website - viewers. Right now I am having to add two albums for every trip I post: one for general folks, and one with extra photos for my friends.

Feature Request: I would like to see an option where I could make selected photos in an album visible to only a certain group while the rest of the photos are visable to everyone. That way, I could have all my photos in a single album (saving me web space) and not worry about guest viewing photos I don't want them to see, all the while my friends (who all belong to a group) can see all the photos.

Example: I have five photos in an album. Photos #2 and #4 are private photos that I wish only my friends who belong to group X to see, while photos #1, #3 and #5 are okay to view by everyone. So if my friends of group X looked at the album, they would see photos #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5, whereas if a guest looked at the album they would see photos #1, #3, and #5. Make sense?

Thanks,
~Dan

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Mixed Albums Users/Non-Users Viewable Photos
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 06:37:15 am »

a more advanced permission management is planned for cpgNG. I'm not sure if it will be broken down to be by individual file though. Anyway, request is being considered for the distant future.
Currently, there's no mod to accomplish what you're looking for. As a workaround, you could use the link feature (album keyword) that is new in cpg1.4.1 (which is in beta testing stage, not recommended for production use yet, no release date known yet as stable). It requires you to still have two albums, but the pics from the private album could be displayed within the public album (linked to it by keyword) if the user belongs to the group that has access to the private album.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 07:52:18 am by GauGau »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 02:43:27 pm »

Permissions down to the picture level probably won't be developed - the benefits don't outweight the costs (processing, queries, coding, etc.)
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Dezdan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 09:30:14 pm »

Okay, thanks to both of you for the info and taking the time to read my post!

~Dan

daddy64

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

I understand that permissions on a file level would be too complicated to implement.
What about the idea to stay with permissions on an album level, but just add a flag to say that destination album permissions decide rather than source album permissions. That would solve my case and also the problem mentioned in this thread http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,52443.msg254523.html#msg254523

In particular:
All pictures are uploaded into album Private, which can only be viewed  by registered users.
Some pictures from Private are linked (using keywords) to the album Public, which is a public album.

Now: pictures in Public are not visible to public, because permissions of the source album (i.e. Private) are "stronger" than those of Public.

New: flag available
- not set: behavior as in 1.4.x
- set: pictures linked from Private into Public are visible to everybody, because Public is a public album

There is no real security problem for the album owner, because he can always go through the album or use search function to see which pictures are publicly visible

This solution would enable better structuring and easier handling of albums. How?
Now: each picture I want to be visible in both Private and Public albums have to be put in Public and linked into Private. If I decide later to release additional pictures for public visibility, I have to move them from Private to Public and link them back.
New: all pictures reside in Private and I just link some of them into Public. To release additional pictures later I only have to link them into Public

I hope the explanation is understandable enough  :)

Regards,
daddy64

KcRaCkErG

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:07:22 am »

*bump*

This is a feature that I'd like to see very much also. It would be very useful in our particular situation:

We run a picture archive for use inside our company. Only registered users have access to the gallery (all albums are set to be viewable by members of the group "registered" only). From time to time we want to give customers access to certain pictures from the archive. To achieve this I had the intention of creating a keyword album linking only the pictures that should be viewable by the customer (the customer would belong to a different group than normal registered users). However the linked album shows no pictures because of permissions in the originating album.

Another way to get around this would probably be by assigning multiple groups to albums. For example:
  • Album X: Only viewable by those who are member of BOTH group A and group B
  • Album Y: Only viewable by those who are member of group A or group  B

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:42 am »

There's no support on feature requests. Your bump is irrelevant. Locking. Read up the sub-board description and the sticky to find out what the feature requests board is meant for and what level of answers you can expect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.