Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Hosting for Coppermine photo Album?  (Read 396021 times)

acoop

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Web Hosting for Coppermine photo Album?
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2009, 01:53:38 am »

ok on shared web hosting server, you are sharing server resources with 100+ sites and that depends on the web hosting providers.  Semi dedicated can be a dedicated server with only 20 sites.  You pay more but you have more cpu power available.  You are not sharing cpu with 100+ users.   semi dedicated is good for folks that are not ready for dedicated server.  basically for a website, the transition phase involves shared web hosting --> semi dedicated web hosting --> vps server --> eventually dedicated server.  I guess vps and semi dedicated might fall in same category.  Only thing with vps is that you have to set everything up on your own (apache, mysql, php etc).  Semi dedicated is just like shared hosting but you just have more resources available. 

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2009, 02:07:29 am »

Tecnically are shared servers. Is a tricky way of calling IMO. In fact they are not called "Semi dedicated servers" but Virtual Private Server. A VPS is when some hosting company does a partition of one computer server into multiples servers. They can have different OS, they can be rebooted one at a time, and they sell very expensive (IMO) for still being a shared sever, you share resources and that's what is all about. :)
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2009, 10:24:33 am »

I agree with Fabricio: calling shared webhosting "semi-dedicated" just because you put less presences on one physical server is just a marketing trick. The server is not dedicated to one task/user only, which is the meaning of a dedicated server. As Fabricio pointed out, virtualization is the next best thing to a true dedicated server in terms of a physical machine assigned to an account.
Of course it helps in terms of performance to put less presences on one physical machine, but adding to the confusion of newbies by using a buzzword like "semi-dedicated" is misleading.

Joachim

P.S. "Semi" is a latin prefix that stands for "half". Whoever coined the term "semi-dedicated" would need to have only two presences then on one physical machine, because two half servers equal one full server. That's why not only the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation will be the first against the wall, but a lot of other marketing people as well ;).

vindog

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2009, 10:57:57 pm »

After wading through the many posts here, I want to ask the question differently:

What hosting company SPECIALIZES in CPG hosting and development?   Do they warrant security patches up to date, and plug the vulnerabilities to hacks?    My site is hosted on 1and1.com (good plan, cheap) but I keep getting hacked with cgi35.plala.or.jp/Mu/gwbbs/lock/eng/css.js and similar stuff.   I don't have the ability to harden the environment, etc. since it is shared.

My site is http://photoshack.com and it has a fair bit of traffic and 10-25 signups per day.   I don't make money off the site, so paying big $$ to keep it secure isn't going to work.

I would really like to migrate the site away from the current provider and into the hands of someone who is better at this.

thanks (in advance..)

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2009, 11:15:32 pm »

but I keep getting hacked with cgi35.plala.or.jp/Mu/gwbbs/lock/eng/css.js and similar stuff.
You only get that type of hacking just because the hacker is a moron. I could easly take over your gallery in 5 minutes due to you're running a Coppermine version of 2 years ago. You should update as soon as we release a new version, 1.4.25 right now!

It's the first time I offer hosting in the forum because I'm not here to sell, anyways, I have some space in my reseller account due to yesterday I moved one website, if you PM me we could make some deal. I'm running my gallery without any problem and so thousands of people. This post is not meant to confuse you in order to sell you something, Coppermine should run very well in almost all the hosting services. (decent ones ;))
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

vindog

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:52 am »

I appreciate it, I just can't spend $$ on something that doesn't at least cover the expenses and right now it does not.  Before this hosting plan I had to shut the site down since it maxed out my space/bandwidth.   I paid a developer to migrate the user accounts and images to the new site, and also make it so the adsense ads show up on the top and the display image pages.   Even though I get 300k page views, 54k unique visitors, average page views 5+ per visit I still make no money and can't cover the costs.

Getting help from developers like you would keep this thing alive.  I am not that technical, I'm a photographer!!!

imasonaz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2009, 12:56:42 am »

I use 1and1 and have no problems. Have you contacted 1and1 about your problem (a bit off topic here, but always a good bet, they might even compensate you for troubles). Also, try adding a donation link to your website and setup a paypal account, you might not get much, but 1and1 is very inexpensive for webhosting...

vindog

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2009, 05:11:14 pm »

Thanks, yes I have discussed the issues with 1and1; their margins are thin as you mention so there's no real chance a pro can spend time troubleshooting the security holes.  I have given up there.

And I had a paypal donation link for a long time and got NOTHING.  Gamers and kids don't have bank accounts even if they did want to pay for what they get for free on Photobucket (and they are the active users.)   I just exist because I'm free.

tuckerah

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Free web host supporting the Copermine requirements
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2009, 10:41:21 am »

You can also register/buy the virtual ,Deticated server Hosting,web hosting with advanced features in the site http://www.tucktail.com/ at low price.

[Edit Joachim]
Split this posting from the thread that discusses free webhosting and merged it with paid webhosting thread. If you would have spent more time to read and understand, your advert might have attracted potential customers. As it stands now, it just looks like an attempt to increase the relevance of your page in terms of search engine friendliness, but it's not very likely that actual humans will visit your page using this link. A wasted opportunity if you ask me...
[/Edit]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:58:11 am by Joachim Müller »

meganjo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2010, 07:14:52 am »

Thanx for sharing....
-----------
Dedicated Linux Server Hosting

mickeyy

• Coppermine newbie
    • 4 BHK in Worli
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2010, 11:57:00 am »

Hi there,
Any recommendation for free web hosting for CPG? would anybody mind to teach me how to upload at the same time? i have no IT background, so are really familiar with IT terms or procedure to upload gallery...but i'm learning...please be my tutor.
Thanks in advance,

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »

This is thre thread dedicated to paid webhosting. There is another sticky thread that deals with free webhosting that is (surprisingly) named Free web host supporting the Coppermine requirements and that resides within this very sub-board. Thanks for not cluttering boards in the future and for reading before posting blindly. We have little sympathy for laziness.

0zas

Your web hosting provider?
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »

I apologize for the possible off-topic. Guys, could you tell me which web hosting company you are using at the moment? I have a problem because my current web hosting company hostrator.com is kicking me off. They say that our website is using too many server resources. But our website only gets 300 visitors per day..

Anyway, what would be your recommendations? Are you happy with your web hosting providers?

I am checking http://www.hosting24.com/ at the moment, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them and they say something like "1000GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will start running out of disk space we will simply add a new 1000GB drive so can continue uploading..".

What do you think about it? Any ideas and web hosting company name suggestions are much appreciated.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2010, 07:55:59 pm »

If you look at the footer on our hompage you will see who we use for hosting ;)
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

inarush

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2010, 05:04:48 pm »

My sites are on US servers although my web host is in New Zealand!  http://www.kiwihosting.net.nz/
It truly is a flat world.

I installed ZenPhoto, CPG, and Gallery3 on my Windows 2003 server.
First impression favorite was ZenPhoto, but I found that it ran slow on IE8 - although it ran fine on Chrome and FireFox.
Gallery3 had some technical issues with the Windows server that I didn't have time for.

CPG was an easy install - ran perfectly and fast right out of the box - on a Windows server!
I've been with Kiwihosting.net.nz for perhaps five years. . .they don't overload shared servers either - websites have always run fast.
And never had a security issue with them. I'm a dedicated fan.

As for CPG, it is my gallery of choice.
The documentation is extensive - currently I'm customizing my theme and will have a link when it's ready.
As for the web host, http://www.kiwihosting.net.nz/ , I recommend them.  For a fact, I know one programmer in Amsterdam and one in Portugal that I highly respect that both use kiwihosting.net.nz

There are many krappy hosting companies and a few very good ones.
My 2 cents.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:47 pm »

Locking thread because of frequent abuse
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.