Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Hosting for Coppermine photo Album?  (Read 396093 times)

lipta

• Coppermine newbie
  • **zacefronisbeautiful**
    • zacefronisbeautiful
Re: Web Hosting for Coppermine photo Album?
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2007, 07:25:14 pm »

eu nao sei fazer um photo galery para meu blog,poxa gente alguem sabe falar ai portugues para me explicar direito!!!!!!!!por favor

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2007, 07:48:11 pm »

English only!

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster
Dedicated Servers Hosting Service with Tech Support
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2007, 02:09:22 am »

[I apologize to GauGau in advance but for some reason, I do not find a new post in this forum category, so I placed it here, the most related topic I could find.  If possible, move it as a new topic.  Thanks.]

I have many sites now where I have several dozen photogalleries (50 in one) that easily exceed and thus violate the very fine prints of existing bargain basement shared server accounts  (see note 1 below). After you add the CMS and other software for chat, forum, blogs the need for dedicated server becomes more imperative.

Anyway, for quite awhile now, I have been looking for dedicated hosting services  with tech support included.  More like higher end version of the shared server hosting services provided by some responders here (see note 1 below).

I am not concerned if the hosting service company is in the US, Germany or anywhere in Europe where very fast internet backbones are available.  Preferably, hosting services that would not consider photos of the Sistene chapel or art sculptures are violations of their TOS because there are nudes.  Things like that. I had an issue with Flickr on this (they did not ban my account by they threatened to ban me because I was defending others) during their censorship campaign.

If you know of any, or you are using  a dedicated server hosting now, please share your suggestion and actual link (if you have a site).  Please avoid suggesting one that you just found by Google search.  I have been doing that already.

Thanks.

Cornelio

Note 1:
Scams: There are some shared server hosting services provided here that I actually left because of very poor service. So, beware. The cheapest is not always the best.  And when it is too good to be true, most likely it is really not true.  Many  shared servers hosting services now advertise such crazy  stuff like 750Gb diskspace and 7.5Tb bandwidth for ridiculous prices less than $10 per monthn ($6-8 usually). Some are actually offering unlimited bandwidth

In contrast, a dedicated server will cost 80Gb diskspace and 750Gb bandwidth for $150 plus set up cost of as much as $50-150

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2007, 08:09:37 am »

Afaik you're German, so you should look for a webhoster from Germany. Nearly all major webhosts have their servers located near the internet backbone (like decix in Frankfurt/Main). I agree that budget webhosting is crap - you get what you pay for.
The mass hosters in Germany (Strato and 1&1) are (as the name suggests) mass hosters, so they're doing best at shared webhosting. I suggest taking a look at webhostlist or review the webhost tests performed by computer magazine c't (e.g. http://www.heise.de/ct/04/18/140/).
Personally, I'm hosted at Power-Netz.

bprm

• Coppermine newbie
    • My gallery with Coppermine
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2007, 11:41:10 am »

For France and UK, my current host OVH also provides now an automatic installation of Coppermine Gallery.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2007, 09:42:41 am »

We don't recommend auto-installers - they are crap and don't go supported by us.

mentalist3d

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • http://concepts.org.uk
    • Concept Art
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2008, 02:48:33 pm »

A good web hosting company to run CPG is streamline.net if you get the Unlimited User Package (about £60 for 2 years) you get unlimited domain space (a previous client I managed to host 8Gb of files for movies with no probs) and visitor bandwidth, unlimited MySQL databases, good suport etc plus twenty subdomains. For example I run an entrance site at: concepts.org.uk with my gallery hosted at art.concepts.org.uk

Anyone new to web hosting should definitely check it out, but always make sure to look around and compare packages to see what suits you best :-)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2008, 09:42:43 am »

Thanks for your valid report.

cgc0202

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2008, 03:39:54 pm »

A good web hosting company to run CPG is streamline.net if you get the Unlimited User Package (about £60 for 2 years) you get unlimited domain space (a previous client I managed to host 8Gb of files for movies with no probs) and visitor bandwidth, unlimited MySQL databases, good suport etc plus twenty subdomains. For example I run an entrance site at: concepts.org.uk with my gallery hosted at art.concepts.org.uk

Anyone new to web hosting should definitely check it out, but always make sure to look around and compare packages to see what suits you best :-)

I looked briefly at the offers of streamline.net, the diskspace usage allowed is rather low, and it is not clear exactly what the bandwidth allowed for each plan.  Then there is a fine print that states -- "we will refund your money in case your bandwidth usage exceeds our capability to support...", or something to that effect.  So, the use of the word "unlimited" this and that was used loosely.  More than likely, you are never going to be able to use your unlimited whatever because more than likely you will exceed their capability to support.  Of course that is just an opinion,and not based on any actual experience with the company.

There are so many extra charges for various features also at the end of each plan that are standard offers in most US shared server hosting services, or even dedicated server hosting services.  Maybe this practice -- a la carte -- is standard in the UK.

Anyway, some of the US hosting companies included in the recommendations here, I either reviewed or had experience to use them briefly. Sometimes, it looks good in paper but the reality never approximates what they offer.  I will not mention any of them here for legal reasons -- but beware, always read the fine prints.

My own current webhosting company used to be very good.  However, in an effort to stay competetive with similar companies in the US, they have adapted the policy of "promising the moon and the stars" to every new customer who still believes in fairy tales.  The result is a deterioration of the speed. I am looking therefore but the technical support of my current hosting service is still quite decent, compared to unsatisfactory support from my previous hosting service.

Cornelio

indianwidescreens

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »

I use Hostgator - Swamp Plan for my indianwidescreens.com

mentalist3d

• http://concepts.org.uk
    • Concept Art
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:08 pm »

Hi Cornelio

I've ran with streamline.net for many years and not once had a problem, my old site http://subliminaldirections.org.uk was getting on average 1500 users per day with no affect to the sites speed etc. we used the SD site to try and test the limits of streamlines hosting plan and found we could host full length videos, multiple downloads etc. all in all we managed to host just over 20Gb of files without recieving any limitations, but I agree with you that you should always check the small print, just because I've never had a problem with streamline, it doesn't mean to say other peoples experience of streamline is positive.

Out of curiosity would everyone who has posted here be willing to score their webhosting company out of ten for various services on offer, as an example:

Hosting Plan: Streamline (Unlimited account) http://streamline.net/uu.php
Techinical Support: 8
Speed: 6
Web Space: 10
MySQL setup: 10 (no experience necessary)
MySQL limitations: 5 (only 10 databasses allowed)
Cost: 10
Ease of Use: 10 (Streamline provide an ftp service making CHMOD files etc very simple)
Overall Score: 8 out of 10

ib2loud

• I <3 CPG!
    • OKShowPics.com
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2008, 03:37:27 am »

I still have a lot to learn, but so far this is by far the best gallery program I have used for my application.

Thanks!

ib2loud

• I <3 CPG!
    • OKShowPics.com
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2008, 05:41:59 am »

not sure why that went to this thread, i thought i was still in the appreciation thread!

op999

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2008, 06:55:02 pm »

I see that someone suggested more than a few hosting accounts. But i have not read anywhere (or maybe i have missed it) about how the host allows for larger images (2-3 megs) to be processed. (I tried to set up Coppermine using 1and1, but it only allowed for smaller pictures; otherwise they're a good hosting company).

So, anyone know for sure a good quality host that will allow me to do as I want?

Thanks!

hakan37

• Coppermine newbie
  • Hakan
    • KASLİKAYAKOYU RESIM GALERISI
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2008, 04:24:03 pm »

Kaslikayakoyudernegi.com
Kaslıkayakoyu Dernegi Fotograf Galerisi

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2008, 08:21:06 am »

That site doesn't appear to offer webhosting, but is just a badly designed page. Don't spam this board!

capecodgal

« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2008, 08:54:13 pm »

Hi guys,

I have read through the suggestions thus far and some of them I will take a look at but I wanted to ask your opinions for our situation.

Previously we were hosted by someone who took very good care of us (we were a bit spoiled I guess) and large sites and galleries were not an issue as we were always given space and bandwidth as needed. Some of our galleries have gotten up to well over 25,000 photos so as you can see they get pretty big and take up about 5gb-10gb when dealing with hq photos.

Recently a friend and I are trying our own attempt at making a network of sites and use google ads to try and recover the cost of server space, etc. Currently we are hosted by HostMonster who has promised us unlimited space and bandwidth which they can't seem to deliver as there fine print has a stipulation of using more than 5% of the cpu results in a temp ban for your site for a 5 minute time frame.

We are now at the point of using nearly 800GB of bandwidth this month alone and space wise we are up to about 30GB between about 10 sites on our account; from talking with various hosting options I have been told that many php / sql / cgi based scripts take up alot of server resources which is why the cheaper acts are not so good and in our case we are better off with VPS or a dedicated server.

Opinions on this? Do any of you think we really need a dedicated server or VPS solution? They are just so expensive and I know you get what you pay for but the idea of spending $75 - $120 / mo and losing half of our ad revenue to cover it is not sitting to well LOL. Now I am thinking we move the larger sites to VPS and keep the shared hosting (as its already pre-paid any how) for the starter sites and as they grow and get more and more visitors then we move them to the larger server.

Also 2 questions... #1 any way to cut down on the resources used by CPG (already disabled buddy lists, stats, etc which helped) and #2 do any of you have reccomendations for a good VPS solution that uses CPANEL and is not in the $50+/mo range but still gives a good amount of space and bandwidth? Or am I just dreaming thinking I will find one?

We mainly use wordpress, cpg, and smf along with a few other minor php scripts such as affitionality

jimm1909

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2009, 10:41:43 pm »

Thanks for all the great info everyone!
Jim Mason - Telephone Service Engineer and Installation Expert

acoop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2009, 03:29:24 am »

when it comes to images and hosting, one should be careful with the web hosting provider.  most web hosting providers will not tolerate filling up the space with 20,000-30,000 images.  if your gallery is getting way too big consider getting a vps or semi dedicated server.  if you are just starting out, look into chime host for web hosting.  they offer good pricing and nice set of features. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2009, 08:29:20 am »

semi dedicated server
What's that? Is it dedicated or not?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.