Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the same images  (Read 3735 times)

gbourgui

• Coppermine newbie
Using the same images
« on: July 10, 2005, 05:17:57 pm »

I want to use the same images but do not want the images stored in Coppermine over and over again. I do not know how Coppermine stores images, but my guess is that if the same file name is uploaded more than once, it will store the same image under a different file name.  I want to use the same image, with the only difference being that in the description I enter a different URL.  I am using Coppermine with Retrospect-GDS, using the Retrospect plugin to display images stored in Coppermine that are linked to records in the GEDCOM file (by adding keywords in Coppermine).  I'm not sure if I need to explain exactly what it is I want to do, but hopefully it's enough to say that I want to use the same image without having the image stored under different filenames in Coppermine (which would eventually take up considerable disk space).  For example, the PDF and File icons that get displayed are obviously the same image file in Coppermine.  Perhaps if I stored my image similarly I could do the same thing.  So perhaps my question is this: can you add your own images that will operate the same way as the File or PDF icon?  However, I do not want to upload a file. I just want to have an image where I can add an URL to the description.  The only way I can see to do this right now is to upload the image each time.

If my question is unclear or I need to provide further details please let me know.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 07:29:07 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Using the same images
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:33:08 pm »

This is included in next version, 1.4

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:30:00 am »

moving this thread to "feature requests" and marking it as "done".

gbourgui

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 12:50:33 am »

That's great that this will be included in version 1.4.   What I'm wondering now is if there will be an easy way to migrate from 1.3.3 to this new feature in 1.4.  If I have the same image a number of times with filenames "filename.jpg", "filename~0.jpg", "filename~1.jpg", etc, will I be able to refer them all to "filename.jpg", and subsequently delete "filename~0.jpg", "filename~1.jpg", etc, without too much trouble? (i.e., without having to change anything else?).

Thanks.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 06:32:15 am »

• There's no support for cpg1.4.x yet (in fact, there's no support on the feature requests board neither)
  • There's an upgrade guide that comes with cpg1.4.x
  • You won't lose anything when upgrading
  • The docs for cpg1.4.x explain how to accomplish what you're looking for
  • It's not recommended to upgrade live production sites yet, as cpg1.4.1 is still in beta stage

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 02:41:17 pm »

That's great that this will be included in version 1.4.   What I'm wondering now is if there will be an easy way to migrate from 1.3.3 to this new feature in 1.4.  If I have the same image a number of times with filenames "filename.jpg", "filename~0.jpg", "filename~1.jpg", etc, will I be able to refer them all to "filename.jpg", and subsequently delete "filename~0.jpg", "filename~1.jpg", etc, without too much trouble? (i.e., without having to change anything else?).

Thanks.

I very much doubt it.  To do what you want, you'll end up editing the database manually.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:31:58 pm »

Yes, you will have to edit the db, which is what I will be doing once I upgrade my gallery to 1.4 to make use of same files in multiple albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.