Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download picture control  (Read 3693 times)

tcman

• Coppermine newbie
Download picture control
« on: July 01, 2005, 04:48:29 pm »

Hi,

is there a way to control which user can or cannot download pictures using the "Save" or "Save As" feature?
What I would like to to have some users be able to do this, and others to not be able to do this.

There wasn't a catergory for this, but I'm guessing it falls roughly under permissions & access rights.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 08:23:47 am by GauGau »

OmegaGOD

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I approve.
Re: Download picture control
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 08:51:42 pm »

Unfortunately there really isn't a way to prevent user from downloading and saving copies of your photos. You can disable right-mouse-clicks, which will make it a little more difficult for the end-user to save your images; however, all he/she would have to do is simple view the source code for your webpage and copy the URL for where your image is located.

If you want to disable right-mouse-clicks, search the forum as it has been asked before.

Hope this helps,

--OmegaGOD
Please do not PM me with support questions. Please read the manual and then if posting questions please place them in the proper sub-boards.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 10:34:39 pm »

You can put all the restrictions on it you want, all I have to do is look in my browser's cache.  Presto, there's your picture.  All you can do is try to slow people down, but you can't stop them.  Javascript isn't really an option either - turn off javascript in the browser and your code won't do anything.  About all you can do is watermark your images - people still get them, but your mark is on it.

Ultimately, if you don't want people to save your images, don't put them on the internet.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

tcman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 06:03:53 am »

Thanks, I'll try to make it harder for them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.