Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: original large Video size show broken quicktime icon?  (Read 7034 times)

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
original large Video size show broken quicktime icon?
« on: June 07, 2005, 08:28:48 pm »

A few questions:

First of all awesome program, thank you.

1. What are the limitations of a video file size?
    currently a 15megs  .mpeg file in his original size (15 megs) shows with a broken quicktime icon.

2. Does the video has to be resampled to a smaller size? I am talking about the file size, not the window size.

3. Why does every file wants to play using quicktime, is there a way to do it using another player?

4. Why when trying to play a video file it gives me a message "Click here to download the plugin"
   when the plugin is already installed and works    with other applications?

5. is there a way to edit the languages where the 2 languages only show on the page?

Sorry for all the questions.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 10:43:14 pm by kegobeer »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: original large Video size show broken quicktime icon?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:41:03 pm »

First, we have a one question per thread policy that you agreed to when you signed up for the forum.  Please respect that in the future.

What plays your video depends on what browser you are using and what plug-ins you have for your browser.  Coppermine has nothing to do with that.  If you have Quicktime configured to play all of your videos, you may have problems with different browsers.  People who don't use Quicktime may not experience the same problem you do.

What broken icon are you talking about?  During the upload process?  When you try to watch the video?  Video files aren't touched by Coppermine, except to upload them (if not uploaded via FTP and batch added to the gallery).  Your server may have limitations on the size of videos/images allowed.

A link to your site would help.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:10:51 am »

Point well taken about multiple questions, thank you.

The video clip located in the album "Living in Oregon" is a 16x9, when played in IE it plays as a 4x3, so everything looks squished, here is a link
to my site http://www.x360fans.com/.

How do I go about keeping the original screen ratio which is 16x9

As a side note, the same clip will not play in Firefox and it will tell me to download the plugin, but the plugin is already installed.

Thank you.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 04:34:06 am »

Edit the properties of the video - enter the dimensions you want the video to be displayed at.

Read this for how to use FF and Windows Media Player.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to see if it works.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:38:39 am »

That worked on my machine, but didn't play mpegs in FF.  Basically, Media Player won't play at all with FF when it comes to non-propriatery formats (mpeg, mp3, etc), but Microsoft formats (wmv, wma, etc) play just fine.  To play mpeg videos on FF, the visitor must have Quicktime installed and the browser plugin configured to play mpeg, mpeg4, mp3, etc.

The Quicktime for FF link.

Your movie failed in IE and FF when I used the Quicktime plug in.  I could play other mpegs with the plugin just fine.  I saved your video to my computer and still can't open your movie with the Quicktime player: Couldn't open the file "strawberries.mpg" because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.  I also can't play your avi file in either browser.  I think whatever codec you are using may be contributing to your issue.  I created a large (18 mb) mpeg-1 video from one of my DVC captures for testing; it played fine in FF and IE with the Quicktime plugin.  It may be the AC3 audio codec you used, I'm not sure.

There's a mod that displays a download link for files - at least your visitors will be able to download the videos, but whether or not they can play them once downloaded is another story.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:11:08 am by kegobeer »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 06:21:28 am »

Yep, the AC3/MPEG combination is your problem.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/faq.html

Can the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component play back AC3 audio?

No, MPEG-2 files containing AC3 audio cannot be played back with the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component.

Drop the surround when you render your mpegs.

If you experiement a little, you'll find you can produce a good movie in the 2-4mb range instead of 15mb.

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 08:59:48 am »

This video was created by the Sony DCR-DVD403 Camcorder, it uses a mini-dvd and movies are recorded as I am filming at 16:9 on the fly with AC3 dolby by default, then via USB or inserting the mini-dvd into my PC's DVD player I am able to copy them over without any modification, all of these movies play well within any MPEG abled application I tried locally.

You observation about quicktime and AC3 is a good one, many thanks for that tip.
Also thanks for the information about configuring quicktime.

I am pondering about what application to use to re-encode these movies quickly to a smaller size and also strip the AC3 sound.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I was able to change the properties of the movie to scaled down the 16:9 format by using 592x320 and it scaled down proportionally, that takes care of the squished movie problem.

kegobeer thanks for going to the trouble of downloading the movie and testing it, I will add the mod for downloading files, good idea.

As far as the other AVI file, that one plays fine in any of my browsers.

Please post Any suggestions about the re-encoding my camcorder files and stripping the AC3.

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 09:25:10 am »

I did the Quicktime fix using Quicktime alternative, now the movie plays fine but no sound,  we know this is because of the AC3 sound.

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 09:28:32 am »

is there any way to show a movie download progress before it begins streaming?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 09:59:16 am »

depends on the plugin you use to display your movies in your browser, and the filetype. No such thing as a progress bar directly in coppermine though, I'm afraid.

Free encoder: Windows Media Encoder. Not sure if it can work with your files though.

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 06:05:03 pm »

No, it doesn't WME actually crashes when opening the file.

I am looking for other alternatives.

sabryan

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 06:34:31 pm »

About the Mod for "Video Downloading" as suggested in this thread, the only Modification  reference I have been able to find are for version 1.2, I am currently running the latest version, 1.3.3.

is there a Mod for version 1.3.3? and if it is, please point me to right direction.

Thanks.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 10:33:30 pm »

I split the remaining posts into a new topic, as they aren't related to the original topic.

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=18755.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.