Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPG 1.41 Mambo Bridge "Album Can be Viewed by" Group Problem  (Read 4446 times)

tutone

• Coppermine regular visitor

I discovered odd behavior (maybe a bug or an oversight) with CPG 1.41 and the mambo bridge with respect to Groups.  When you are in an album and select which group may view the album, previously I had it set to registered users.  This only allows users of the registered user group and the admin group to see the album (this appears to be fine and completely obvious).  The problem is that in Mambo there are several user groups. For example I have users that are in the "author" group (those that can submit news items) and those that are simply in the lowest group of registered user.  I assumed that coppermine would respect the mambo hierarchy and that those in the author group would be able to see what a lowly "registered user" would be able to see.  This is not how coppermine/bridge is set up. 

Only those in that specific group and the admins are able to view the gallery.  Which means that if registered users is set... only users that are specifically in the register user group (and admins) are able to see the album.  The only way around this limitation is to put everyone (except the admins) into one group... (which presents a problem in mambo by severely limitating its user hierarchy). 

Please let me know if this is intended behavior or a current limitation of the code.

By the way, great work on the bridge... i love it.

thanks
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 07:36:18 am by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: CPG 1.41 Mambo Bridge "Album Can be Viewed by" Group Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 05:12:57 pm »

Coppermine does not have this concept of group heirarchy, it does not understand what the groups mean it just knows the name. Admins can see everything, but every other group is just a plain group. It may well be possible to simulate the behaviour you are after in the mambo bridge, but that would be a feature request and not a bug.

tutone

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:40:02 pm »

That may be... but in Mambo there are these different (names or groups) that have different rights or privileges.  The way the bridge currently works makes it so that only one of the groups (besides the admin) is able to see the album if the album is kept private.  Basically there are 3 options. Make the album viewable to the public.  Make the album vieable to one group (and the admins).  Make everyone in mambo have the same name (or group name).  Option three is doable but it limits mambo's ability to give different users different rights.  Option 2's limitations are somewhat clear... so are option 1's. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:18:53 am »

not a bug report then, marking as "invalid"

tutone

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 08:06:42 am »

GauGau,

Will you move this over to feature request (or i can repost over there if you would like)? 

thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 07:36:45 am »

done as suggested

tutone

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 06:40:54 am »

A work around to this problem would be to have the ability to select multiple groups or even an "All Groups" option. 

tutone

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 10:30:28 pm »

any takers on this one?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 20 queries.