Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Views not increasing when picture viewed  (Read 8311 times)

marian

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • BYM Photo Gallery
Views not increasing when picture viewed
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:21:57 pm »

One recently uploaded picture has been viewed a lot and reached the top line of the Most Viewed first page in 2 days. It then stayed in third position for over a week. Today I checked the server logs and saw that it is still being viewed quite a lot, but the view count doesn't increase when it is viewed. It was 891 (checked by clicking on "I") when I looked this morning and it is still 891 tonight even though it must have received 50+ views. If you go to http://www.bymnews.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=0 you will see what I mean. The picture in question is the white megayacht in third position. For all other pictures on that page, the view count goes up each time a thumbnail is opened.
Normally, I wouldn't be fussed about this, but there are commercial reasons why it is important that this pic gets its rightful position! 

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
Re: Views not increasing when picture viewed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 09:42:54 am »

I just viewed the picture and the view count increased from 891 to 892. Then i opened the picture in another browser and once again the count increased from 892 to 893. So i guess there's no problem in views.

You said that the picture in question received 50+ views and yet the views count in coppermine doesn't increased. How do you come to know that the picture has been viewed 50+ times? It is possible that all those views must have been from the same machine and coppermine doesn't increase the views if the same picture is viewed by the same user from the same machine repeatedly.
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:55:09 am »

heh, and when I viewed it, it said 894 times. When I refreshed the page, it went up one.

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:15:36 am »

I know the picture was viewed 50+ times yesterday because I began counting unique IP addys that recorded an URL for that picture in the server logs and gave up at 50 (tedious job) with more showing.
This morning I saw the count at 814 in IE6, I opened the pic and it went to 815 after refreshing. I then tried in Netscape 7 and it didn't go up. I phoned 3 friends and asked them to try. 1 reported it had gone up, the other 2 said it hadn't!! 
I then clicked 5 times on the pic of Orange (position 2) and it went up by 5, I did the same with the vintage yacht pic under Orange and it too went up by 5, so - in those two cases - Coppermine wasn't ignoring multiple views from the same user!! Yet, for the white boat he seems hit and miss whether it records views from different users. Wierd!!  :o

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 11:21:09 pm »

I think your ISP may be caching the page. I see "896 times". So you're seeing a snapshot of the page rather than the live version. Please confirm with them. Or, you're using some "accelerator" which "speeds" internet access by showing cached pages.

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 08:52:33 am »

I think your ISP may be caching the page. I see "896 times". So you're seeing a snapshot of the page rather than the live version. Please confirm with them. Or, you're using some "accelerator" which "speeds" internet access by showing cached pages.
No accelerator, no caching by the ISP. This seems to affect only this one picture, which is what makes it rather bizarre! This morning it shows 897, it was a quiet night due to hols but other pics of the same boat on page 2 of Most Viewed have all gone up by several more views. Also I clicked on the thumbnails of the pictures in positions 1 & 2 on the first page and they went up by 1 for each click, the Galaxy picture did not.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 06:44:45 pm »

Let's make sure we are talking about the same photo: http://bymnews.com/photos//displayimage.php?pos=-5367

After I said that I saw 895 views, you said you saw 815. How can this be?

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 11:01:14 pm »

Let's make sure we are talking about the same photo: http://bymnews.com/photos//displayimage.php?pos=-5367

After I said that I saw 895 views, you said you saw 815. How can this be?
Sorry, slip of the virtual pen, I meant 895!

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:09:47 pm »

Did you happen to install a mod that would not count admin views?

Also, your gallery is 1.2.1, not 1.3x as you had posted. I am moving this accordingly.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 11:11:09 pm »

Please upgrade your gallery to see if that helps. The devs are no longer running 1.2 so we cannot help with issues that may arise from using it.

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 11:52:57 pm »

Please upgrade your gallery to see if that helps. The devs are no longer running 1.2 so we cannot help with issues that may arise from using it.
Soory, I didn't realise we were not on 1.3. Being a php idiot, I had probs with the few changes I originally made (just the provision of one private album) so I'm a bit scared of upgrading. I'll do it tomorrow though, at a time when the server techies will be around to shove in the backups if it goes pear shaped.
Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.