Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you avoid upload of duplicates?  (Read 7156 times)

hazman

How do you avoid upload of duplicates?
« on: May 24, 2005, 11:40:55 am »

Hello all

How do you avoid uploading duplicates of images in Coppermine?

Thank you in advance

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: How do you avoid upload of duplicates?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 04:39:03 pm »

Not sure what you mean. CPG doesn't allow for duplicates. Could you please elaborate?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 04:47:42 pm by TranzNDance »

hazman

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 05:31:45 pm »

Ok,

Let's say you upload an image, Image 01.gif -  200 images later you upload the same image, but called Image 201.gif

It's the same image. How can I avoid this, how can CPG avoid two same images with a different name.

I need to upload about 2000 of them, but from time to time, I'll get one that I already have. I want to avoid this.

Thank you

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:11:31 am »

Short of giving your website artificial intelligence, nothing.  Coppermine is a good program, but it can't do what you are requesting.  ;)  That's up to you!
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

hazman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 06:11:15 am »

Short of giving your website artificial intelligence, nothing.

I guess from your remark you must think I'm asking a real stupid question huh. I think not, it would be great if not excellent if CPG had a feature like this.

Good day

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 06:16:29 am »

I think it would be the image processor--GD or IM--that would be responsible for processing the differences between files. Try asking those forums.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 06:27:39 am »

I also don't think enough people have a problem with naming the same image different names to warrant adding a possibly resource-intensive feature. If this were possible, it would be a hack/plug-in contribution rather than something to add to the core code.

hazman

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:52:04 am »

I think it's an important feature and it would be very well accepted IMHO.

There is hope tho, because after a search I found another gallery working on something like that.

Anyways, thanks for your info I appreciate it :)

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 12:53:36 pm »

I guess from your remark you must think I'm asking a real stupid question huh. I think not, it would be great if not excellent if CPG had a feature like this.

Good day

You guessed wrong.  You completely missed my humorous point.  Trying to make the image processor and/or Coppermine do this would be next to impossible.  Checking for duplicate filenames is one thing; actually figuring out if images with different filenames are the same requires intelligence.  The sheer logistics of this is mind boggling - imagine a gallery with thousands of pictures.  Every time you upload an image, you want Coppermine to go thru every image, open it, and compare it with your new image.  Talk about a huge performance impact that your host will certainly not appreciate!  How many members would tolerate this kind of delay?  And what if an image is slightly smaller or the resolution is a little different, but the image is otherwise the same?  There's no way Coppermine could know that.

That's why I said short of giving your website artifical intelligence.  This is the responsibility of the person uploading the images.

If you find another gallery application that does this, please let us know.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

hazman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 02:41:08 pm »

Good day

You guessed wrong.  You completely missed my humorous point.  Trying to make the image processor and/or Coppermine do this would be next to impossible.  Checking for duplicate filenames is one thing; actually figuring out if images with different filenames are the same requires intelligence.  The sheer logistics of this is mind boggling - imagine a gallery with thousands of pictures.  Every time you upload an image, you want Coppermine to go thru every image, open it, and compare it with your new image.  Talk about a huge performance impact that your host will certainly not appreciate!  How many members would tolerate this kind of delay?  And what if an image is slightly smaller or the resolution is a little different, but the image is otherwise the same?  There's no way Coppermine could know that.

That's why I said short of giving your website artifical intelligence.  This is the responsibility of the person uploading the images.

If you find another gallery application that does this, please let us know.

Humorous point??? Don't think so, this sounded sarcastic and I'm not guessing wrong here and you obviously still think my question is stupid. Read this carefully - There is a gallery out there already working on a feature like this and it's not who you think it is. I already went there asking about this.

Who said anything about making a user wait for a check up to let the upload thru, huh? Of course users won't tolerate this. I'm thinking a feature where it's up to you to check for this. Some sort of scan or something. And how is this going to be a burden on the host??? If you run out of BW, too bad, get more.

This feature is possible, that you don't have it, then say so and it's fine. I actually thought you had a feature like this, but you don't. And instead of you taking this into thought you come at me with impossibilities.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 06:56:40 pm »

And how is this going to be a burden on the host??? If you run out of BW, too bad, get more.
I guess from your remark, you don't know what you're talking about. There is a difference between resource and bandwidth. Two different things. You can't get more processing power without the host getting more powerful servers.

Since most people are on shared servers, resource-hungry apps affect other accounts on the server, which is unfair to other users, and responsible webhosts won't tolerate that.

hazman

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 07:56:32 pm »

And how is this going to be a burden on the host??? If you run out of BW, too bad, get more.
I guess from your remark, you don't know what you're talking about. There is a difference between resource and bandwidth. Two different things. You can't get more processing power without the host getting more powerful servers.

Since most people are on shared servers, resource-hungry apps affect other accounts on the server, which is unfair to other users, and responsible webhosts won't tolerate that.

This is clearly going nowhere. You are bent on twisting my original question and I don't know why. Save it, I really, really don't care about your knowledge in whatever.

But, since you think you are so smart...>>> The host doesn't care (don't give a crap) if you go beyond the available slot allocated to the user. That's your problem, NOT the users, NOT the 'other users' and NOT the host.

Where are you going with this? What is your problem?

coolhead

• Coppermine novice
    • ClicFoto.com.ar
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 01:53:58 am »

Hello all

Thank you in advance

A MD5 HASH of the image can be used. At the time of uploading an image their corresponding HASH is created and it verifies that not this in Data Base. In case of not exist, insert the HASH in the data base with the name of the file of the image uploaded

hazman

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 06:38:48 am »

Hello all

Thank you in advance

A MD5 HASH of the image can be used. At the time of uploading an image their corresponding HASH is created and it verifies that not this in Data Base. In case of not exist, insert the HASH in the data base with the name of the file of the image uploaded

Thank you, I will check this out  :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 09:20:23 am »

another option would be to store the color hue as a checksum together with the pic data in the db. Drawback: pics with the same hue checksum might get rejected although the images are the same.
Let's cool this discussion down: kegobeer is right - you can't actually compare the images themselves, this is out of the scope of what a webserver (at least on shared webhosting) can do in terms of computing power. There actually are some dedicated servers that spider the internet and compare images themselves (companies try to find copycats).
However, there might be workarounds that will do a similar thing (as suggested above), but all of those methods will only work for images that are identical in every aspect except the filename. A "regular" jpeg file will possibly contain exif info or other meta data that will change and therefor result in another checksum, although the images themselves will be the same. A small change of resolution (cropping) or compression (opening a jpeg file and saving it again) will make the files become different, although they look the same to the human eye.

@hazman: I suggest you review your attitude a bit: all supporters try to be helpfull, and both kegobeer and TranzNDance have done huge support work (proven by thousands of postings)...

You might want to look into this thread for future reference: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=12470.0

hazman

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 12:51:45 pm »

@hazman: I suggest you review your attitude a bit: all supporters try to be helpfull, and both kegobeer and TranzNDance have done huge support work (proven by thousands of postings)...

You might want to look into this thread for future reference: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=12470.0

I'm sorry but I don't have a problem with my attitude, what I should've done is just left this thread after the 1st. answer I got with the so called humourous and the direct answer that Coppermine can't do this. 

I went to 4 other forums looking for some kind of information on this and I got some good replies, no arguments what-so-ever except for here.   

Thank you for the information and the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.