Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scheduled webpage maintenance works on 2005-05-26  (Read 35414 times)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Scheduled webpage maintenance works on 2005-05-26
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:32:56 am »

On thursday, 2005-05-26 from approximately 09:00 h to 15:00 h (a.m.) GMT+1 there will be scheduled maintenance works on the coppermine forum. During this period, the forum will be shut down (i.e. inaccessible).
We will move the forum to a new (more powerfull) server due to the following reasons:
  • Our current webhost sourceforge.net has disabled outbound smtp traffic for the web server. As a result, notification emails and the "forgot password" links ceased to work. On the new server, we will be allowed to send emails again.
  • Every project website at sourceforge.net is allowed a maximum of 100 MB webspace. We have exceeded this limit by far, so we have to move some content away from the project webspace (or we would have to start deleting old threads and the attachments they contain).
  • The current coppermine demo is painfully slow due to server-sided restrictions.
  • Sourceforge has disabled cronjobs that are needed for regular database backups

Once the maintenance work (migration) will be done, you will be re-directed to our new server (with a new domain) when visiting the old forum URL, which will mean that you have to log in with your username and password (as the cookie will differ). The dev team wants to emphasize that we're not leaving sourceforge.net: we're just moving the big chunks away to a more powerfull server. The CVS repository and the main start page will remain on sf.net - we value the great service sf.net is offering to the open source community.

Joachim
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 10:24:41 am by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Scheduled webpage maintenance works on 2005-05-26
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 06:30:18 pm »

I'm looking forward to this move. I'm getting way too many time-out errors, and errors that I submitted a post already. :P

Thank you to the users and supporters who continue to use the board despite the recent issues. :-*

vuud

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • [cpmfetch.fistfullofcode.com]
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:55 pm »

This is excellent news! 

Just to pull up this reply dialog:
Page created in 39.898 seconds with 14 queries.

Thank you to all the administrators and developers out there for this move and for the gallery itself !   Having done a few smaller projects in opensource arena's I know if can be a thankless task sometimes... 

So thank you!

I agree about Sourceforge, they are doing a great service, but it has to be very hard to host all these projects for free!

(I am especially glad about email notifications)

Thanks again to all of you

Vuud

Please post for help to the forum... PM me only if you are sending security related items (passwords, security problems, etc).

cpmFetch - Images, RSS feeds from CPG from outside CPG
New release notification signup also. 
See http://cpmfetch.fistfullofco

isloera

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
    • Calvilloweb.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:04:57 am »

I also want to thank the whole development team for the things they do to make our Coppermine experience better.

Thanks a lot!!

:)

luma

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 04:23:47 am »

Good luck on the move/maintnance. this can be a pain in the butt so all the best for a nice smooth transition

Luma

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:03:52 pm »

After leaving the forum offline for more than 7 hours (while I was working on the server move) I finally have to admit defeat: the server (for now) remains as-is, as there turned out to be issues that need to be fixed before I can finally move. The problem are thousands of postings and PM's that contain single quotes that are not properly escaped (some are, some are not). When I tried to restore the mySQL dump on the new server, those unescaped single quotes caused errors. My guess is that they're still leftovers from phpBB (apparently the migration script from phpBB to SMF didn't convert everything as expected.
I'll try later (asap), there will be an announcement before I do.

Joachim

P.S. Needless to say that I'm very frustrated... :\'(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:38:46 pm by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 04:47:04 pm »

awww... (http://tu2.net/emoticons/icon_console.gif) Thank you for your time and effort on this, Joachim.  :-* (http://tu2.net/emoticons/icon_love.gif)

OmegaGOD

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I approve.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 01:19:07 am »

@GauGau,

Sorry to hear about those unescaped single quotes. Murphy's Law sucks! Thanks for workin on it. Maybe take 2 will be better  :D
Please do not PM me with support questions. Please read the manual and then if posting questions please place them in the proper sub-boards.

vuud

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 07:37:37 am »

After leaving the forum offline for more than 7 hours (while I was working on the server move) I finally have to admit defeat: the server (for now) remains as-is, as there turned out to be issues that need to be fixed before I can finally move. The problem are thousands of postings and PM's that contain single quotes that are not properly escaped (some are, some are not). When I tried to restore the mySQL dump on the new server, those unescaped single quotes caused errors. My guess is that they're still leftovers from phpBB (apparently the migration script from phpBB to SMF didn't convert everything as expected.
I'll try later (asap), there will be an announcement before I do.

Joachim

P.S. Needless to say that I'm very frustrated... :\'(

I'm pretty good with fixing stuff... let me know if you want any help working out a way to fix all the problem chars...

If its going to go wrong, it will...  ah well

Ironically, the server seems to be responding much better anyway... Maybe you scared it.

Please post for help to the forum... PM me only if you are sending security related items (passwords, security problems, etc).

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 07:19:18 pm »

Thanks for your readiness to help. Alas, the dump I created the other day is of course out-dated, so it's no real use anymore. What I'll do instead is writing a backup tool as suggested in [help wanted]:MySQL backup system. Once it's done, I'll use it to move over. The idea is that the tool will create a dump file on the server, with only a few lines of queries done at a time (which get appended to the dump file on the server's file system), with a refresh of the page done every xx seconds that will do another few steps. This way, a dump file will be built gradually that will not run into timeouts, no matter what. The same process will be used to restore the dump: little by little (several hundred queries only). It will have only small impact on the mysql server when run, only some http traffic impact and a large local dumpfile. I will publish the script once it's finished as well.

OmegaGOD

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I approve.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 04:37:40 am »

Awesome! That sounds like a great idea. I just spent about 4 hours at work dealing with unescaped single quotes; suffice it to say, I feel your pain.

Please do not PM me with support questions. Please read the manual and then if posting questions please place them in the proper sub-boards.

vuud

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 07:31:13 am »

Thanks for your readiness to help. Alas, the dump I created the other day is of course out-dated, so it's no real use anymore. What I'll do instead is writing a backup tool as suggested in [help wanted]:MySQL backup system. Once it's done, I'll use it to move over. The idea is that the tool will create a dump file on the server, with only a few lines of queries done at a time (which get appended to the dump file on the server's file system), with a refresh of the page done every xx seconds that will do another few steps. This way, a dump file will be built gradually that will not run into timeouts, no matter what. The same process will be used to restore the dump: little by little (several hundred queries only). It will have only small impact on the mysql server when run, only some http traffic impact and a large local dumpfile. I will publish the script once it's finished as well.

Well that sounds like a plan...  Ironically since you tried the move, the server has been much more responsive that it was before...  I have no idea why that would be.

So I guess you don't have a mysql admin page that will do the dump? 

BTW, you still have the announcement for the old upgrade plan coming up in the news box occassionally... 

In other news, I got some SSI stuff working for cpmfetch - I am debating what to do with that part of it - so I am going to defer it for a little while and wrap up some other odds and ends.  I think all the major functionality is spoken for at this point, just a few funky requests from people.

I also renamed the main files to cpmfetch.php instead of coppermine.php - figured it would be cleaner this way.

Good luck, lemme know if you need anything

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 08:37:09 am »

@gaugau

This script might be of some help to you:

BigDump: Staggered MySQL Dump Importer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.