Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick upgrade question 1.3.2. directly to 1.4? will it be possible?  (Read 7727 times)

robinna

• Coppermine newbie
  • wherever you go, there you are.
    • robinart.com

Hi there,
I understand I need to upgrade to 1.3.3 asap because of security issues. My previous installations of coppermine were done via my webhoster's fantatisco auto installer. They are not ready to upgrade to 1.3.3 just yet (I just checked and I did explain it was a security issue)

The problem is that if I do if manually this time, my understanding is that I will have to do the upgrades manually from here on out, which I hate to do, because, well I am a little lazy. ;) I will also not receive auto notices as to when a new version is available (which generally is timely, but of course I didn't get one this time...)

I am hoping in the next few days that there will be some discussion on the webhoster's part and they will move forward with upgrades.

In the meantime, my question is: is there an estimated timeframe as to when 1.4. will launch and will I be able to go from 1.2.2 directly to 1.4?

It sounds like 1.4 is getting very close and I'm a little behind schedule, but I hate to manually upgrade to 1.3.3. next week and then voila, the end of the week, 1.4 is ready. I have 2 different websites using coppermine, so this is a big question for me. I could potentially have 4 upgrades to do within a short time frame. 

any insight is greatly appreciated. I realize 1.3.3 came out April 30, but I didn't hear about until May 7, so  I'm trying to figure out the best use of my time.

Thank you
robin

Nibbler

You can update directly from any 1.3.x to 1.4

marcos

• Coppermine novice
    • Fly By!

Perhaps a little .txt with changed files list ?

Please..think about those poor users that like to mod it...

;D
goingtowritethislaterbecausemyspacebarisnotworkingproperly

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

cpg1.4.x hasn't been released as stable yet, so there won't be any support. You can find out about changed files using a diff viewer like winmerge. It'll be easier if you compare your version with an unmodified cpg1.2.x version using a diff viewer, note all changes and re-apply them once you upgraded. Nearly all files have been changed from cpg1.2.x to cpg1.3.x, you won't be able to update just some files, and a list of changed files would be irrelevant.

robinna

• Coppermine newbie
    • robinart.com

I am trying to work this out with my webhoster in terms of the autoinstaller/upgrader.I know that I am not the only one with the compnay using coppermine. ;D
What would you recommend (given the situation of my original question)?
I realize 1.4.x isn't stable but if I'm going to have to do it manually anyhow and I only use English and I don't use it with a bb, would it make more sense to go ahead and migrate to 1.4.x? Is there any indicator that it will be released soon for production?

...and if I do upgrade to 1.4.x now and a more stable version comes out, how is easy will it be to replace my current version?

I hope there's not a bunch of threads here, I really am trying to weigh my options.
My choices are
1) upgrade to 1.3.3. manually for 2 websites (which I can do, but will also mean that I will have to do it manually from here on out)
2) upgrade to 1.4.x manually for the 2 sites and hope that I have no problems
3) wait for either my webhoster to get the new version 1.3.3 or 1.4.x (I think they are probably waiting for 1.4.x.)

Any insight/suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.
thanks, robin

Nibbler

We don't recommend using any auto installers, always handle the updates yourself. Updating will always be made as easy as possible. 1.4 is not recommended for production sites, so that leaves option 1) as your best choice.

marcos

• Coppermine novice
    • Fly By!

Tnx GauGau ,

WinMerge changed my life...

How could I not think that someone thave thinked about it before?
 :P
goingtowritethislaterbecausemyspacebarisnotworkingproperly

robinna

• Coppermine newbie
    • robinart.com

thanks for your insight. 
What is your reasoning for recommending manual upgrades/installs(is this now a dif thread)? What do I gain/lose using an auto installer?

I have done both (auto installers and manual) and generally I have had no problems with either. I always keep a copy of my modified files so that I have those.  The issues are my web hosting support, notification when versions change, and perhaps, most importantly, my time.

I'm already responsible for manually upgrading quite a bit and as a volunteer web editor, time can be a big issue. 
I do appreciate all of the hard work that everyone does with coppermine, expecially on this messageboard. It's been very helpful. I just wish 1.4.x was closer --I'm guessing everyone does. ;)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.