Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine / File Site - Hybird? HELP!  (Read 7125 times)

Tweak

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
  • Green is Healthy :)
Coppermine / File Site - Hybird? HELP!
« on: April 17, 2005, 06:54:37 am »

Hey fellas.  Well I am back on here and I have a really important site to work on... and it gets tricky because I don't know what to do...

Here is what it is...

Basically I have been working on a new 'files' website that holds media such as screenshots, texture files, general file downloads etc... all for a game I play.  This is a VERY huge community site and it is down right now for updates to get ready for a new version of the game.  Now... there are some questions I'd like to ask so maybe I can get some better help on this.

So, overall the site is a files site... and the main files it hosts are 'skins' for the game.  So basically what I'll need is a screenshot upload and file upload feature, as well as other things... like a description box etc etc... you know kind of like downloading Winamp Skins or XP Themes or something.  But I don't know what to do!  The main reason I come to the Coppermine forums is because I LOVE Coppermine Gallery and only wish I could somehow transform it into a files upload site.  I also need a variety of other features, but I won't go into detail.

I'd just like to know if something like this is possible, or if anything that I can get from some site will make this possible.  I have looked into trying to bridge many CMS tools with Coppermine, but it isn't always pretty... and the desired effect isn't what I am shooting for.  The site DOES need to be a portal/CMS style site, but also for the file downloads it needs to be a 'gallery' style (most likely CPG style), and have the ability for people to upload their own skins and files.  It becomes hard for me to explain this, but I really would like some info on this, or maybe some help if anyone knows where to point me in the right direction.

Thx
-Tweak

Tweak

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Re: Coppermine / File Site - Hybird? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 09:01:28 pm »

Dang... I figured leaving this thread for a few days and I'd get a few helpful responses... I guess not :(
-Tweak

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 02:47:01 pm »

I'm not sure what you are expecting to hear, coppermine can already be a file upload site.

Tweak

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:36:12 am »

I'm not sure what you are expecting to hear, coppermine can already be a file upload site.
Hmmm??  Well I dunno I am a bit vague or unclear in my description I guess... but what I need is something like... when a person needs to upload, they can upload a screenshot (shown in gallery), and they upload the file (which is a skin/texture file).  The same goes for any other file I will allow on the site.

I just don't know how-to do this.  Even just a file upload page without a requirement for a screenshot... like say you were gonna upload a text file or something... bah,  I wish I could explain it better.  And if I had a decent portal/cms to bridge to... it might work?  I just don't know what to get.

:(
-Tweak

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 05:15:24 am »

I understand what he's saying. Kind of an example if I've got it right is what I have on my personal site here:

http://www.donovanbray.com/thumbnails.php?album=12&page=1

Which I accomplished by batch adding the screenshot, uploading but not batch adding the archive, then in the title field I added a bbcode link to the archives actual location.

This is a 1.4.1 development gallery, and If I recall correctly bbcode in picture titles is a 1.4 feature and not currently available in 1.3 unless you mod it.

But all that requires the access to #1 upload with ftp, #2 batch add.

As a user, they can upload the archive, and a custom thumbnail and kind of get it to work, but you won't be able to really see the screenshot other than the thumbnail.

You could sort of emulate this though.

Create one album for all of the archives to go in.  Create the album structure for the screenshots.

The user would then upload the archive to the "files" album, then upload the screenshot to it's album, then use bbcode to put a link to the file in the "files" album on the screenshot.

Tweak

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 06:05:27 am »

Quite a good example indeed donnoman.  That is pretty darn close to what I am thinking of.  Everything from browsing the thumbnails for each file, and clicking on them, to having the description listed, etc.  The download link under the thumbnail would come in handy too, we didn't have that feature on our old site, and people disliked that, heheh  :-[

But, the process of doing all that.... ehhhh sounds all too complicated for the users that will be on this site.  Usually (with the old crappy site) they would goto the Upload page, upload the screenshot 400 x 400, and upload the source file.  They would have a description box and title, and would choose which section for it to go in.  The one thing that is most important is that this all be done with coppermine.  Well... at least I wish it to be so, because I am a BIG fan of Coppermine :)

The other troublesome issue I have is that I will not ONLY be having people upload 400 x 400 maximum dimension screenshot - and a file.  I also will need to have sections where people just upload files, and no screenshot is required.  AND a section where people upload pictures of any size... particularly wallpaper size for example.  So I cannot use a max dimension setting globably or something.  Also, I think I mentioned before, each registered user has a personal 'gallery' when viewing their profile --- It would list all the uploads they have (Maybe somehow have all these file uploads as their personal gallery section, but somehow show it in the profile?)

I get to excited about this, I guess it is just because Coppermine is so so so close to being what I want, it just isn't possible with my small amount of coding knowledge or know-how I guess.  I am a designer mostly  ;)

I just can't let this project sit, I do have to get it done as soon as I can :(   Well, I'd be pretty happy if someone knows where to start me off.  If it is too difficult, I understand  :\'(  But the end product would be an amazing accomplishment, and probably something worth showing off as a unique Coppermine site :D --- The site gets a lot of traffic and acclaim.
-Tweak

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 03:58:29 am »

I think you can get there from here with a little bit of modding, but I'm full up with work right now and I just can't take it on. Perhaps if this is still open in a few weeks I can maybe work out a plugin or mod that will work with the dev version.

Tweak

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 06:49:29 am »

That'd be of great help, and many thanks :)

I have to say that if Coppermine were to have such a plugin or mod as an option, it would come in handy for lots of people.  At least... the way I see it is that Coppermine is so darn good, and there are so many possibilities for it.  I really am dying to make this site so everyone can get back to their skinning and uploading/showing-off of files.  This site is very popular and has been down since December I think?  :o  Heheh.  We only have it shut down because the old site was so poorly made and it needs to be updated for a new release of this game, which is due out sometime this Summer I believe (no exact release date, just my guess).  Heh, I could even get Coppermine as a sponsor by default in the game (like on cars, tracks, and such)  :D  (Multiplayer Racing game)

If you, or anyone else are willing to help me out, I'd be very grateful for your time.  If you want to contact me to discuss this, you can PM me, and I could give you some IM contacts I have (or the ones shown in my profile).  But if you have any quick questions, post them here even if you feel like it  8)
-Tweak

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 07:18:23 am »

Another possibility is to "commission" the work in the freelancers sub-board. You can read the sticky there for more info. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.